The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Wow, a $10K price drop is significant!

My guess is that you will have to go even lower, or pay yourself to ship it to California and have a dealer market it for you.

I bought my '98 in great condition and low miles for $25K.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I think his price is good, the reason your deal was good was because you purchased the car with services not up to date, that's why you needed to spend the big bill, which combined exceeded what Hawaii is asking.

These cars don't sell quick, because there's only a handful of people looking for them. Just need to find the right buyer.

19k miles is good, anything lower than 15k I will be concerned because you don't know how long the car was sitting as a garage queen.

Wow, a $10K price drop is significant!

My guess is that you will have to go even lower, or pay yourself to ship it to California and have a dealer market it for you.

I bought my '98 in great condition and low miles for $25K.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Just to clarify, I think price is ok if it's on the mainland. It's hard for someone to feel comfortable buying from Hawaii unless it's selling for a steal.

Ad says major service done 4K miles ago, but that's not clear about whether it's close to needing a clutch and timing belts. 4K miles ago could have been 6 years ago considering you can't go too far in Hawaii. And the clutch probably gets a work out there.

My big bill for service was just me being stupid. I should have done the work myself, but the forums got me all scared that I couldn't handle it. Like Alan told me, it's just a car. I am doing the work (and redoing Harry's work) myself now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It looks nice from the pics. That being said, there is no such thing as an affordable V8 Esprit. They just don't exist!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It looks nice from the pics. That being said, there is no such thing as an affordable V8 Esprit. They just don't exist!
It's all relative. Compared to a Ferrari, the Esprit is the bargain of the century on purchase and running costs. And I can tell you that my 99 355 was not a better car than my 98 Esprit in any category except picking up chicks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just listed it on Ebay:
For Sale: 1997 Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbocharged**Free Shipping to west coast port if Buy It Now is used!**

Shipping is only $995 toWest coast port of Seattle, San Francisco or Los Angeles.
Only 19k miles! Rare beautiful Azure Blue with Cream hides and blue piping. English Leather smells fantastic. Lots of burl walnut on the dash. Cold-Cold A/C (r134 type) AM/FM CD by Alpine and several tweeters and speakers about the cabin.
Removeable clear roof that can be tilted open or totally removed. I also have the solid Azure blue solid top! Included. Packed in a box. Real carbon fiber front spoiler. Custom center exit exhaust with Cats currently removed in a box. Sounds Awesome!
Rear spoiler. New oversized Michelin Pilot Sport tires front 245-40zr-17 and rear 295-35zr-18. The car is extremely light weight and is very-very fast, especially when the twin turbochargers kick in. Much quicker than my 2003 Dodge Viper or 91 Ferrari Testarossa.
Just tuned it up a few weeks ago with new Alternator, Clutch slave, clutch fluid, battery, iridium plugs, wires, coils, fuel pump, synthetic oil change, K&N oil and air filter and new rear engine hatch gas struts. Major Cam Belt Service was done just 4k miles ago. The car is really-really clean. It looks and smells brand new, from the leather to the carpets and paint. Garage kept with absolutely no rust anywhere. Ready for a cross country drive. Very tight and reliable. Needs nothing. You won't be disappointed.
$29,995 starting bid with $1.00 reserve! Might be interested in a 2007 XKR or Maserati Quattroporte trade.
Call or text Emery 808-280-2403 **Hawaii Time**No early calls please.
email: [email protected]

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's all relative. Compared to a Ferrari, the Esprit is the bargain of the century on purchase and running costs. And I can tell you that my 99 355 was not a better car than my 98 Esprit in any category except picking up chicks.
Personally I have had better luck with the Ferraris then the Lotus. The Lotus suffered more engine/trans issues. I know the dealer will get you for parts for both but I do most of the work myself so my point of view is somewhat skew. I am partial to the Azure Blue though, probably cause that is the same color I picked.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oxymoron - (plural: oxymora, oxymorons)

Example:
-Dark Light
-Living Dead
-Affordable Esprit

·
Banned
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't see how why it would ever be a sub 20k car at any-point if it's in good mechanical condition. Resale shouldn't be an issue and compared to the depreciation of cars it's minimal, but what do I know.

Hawaii why don't' you bring it to the states and try to sell it for more? I wonder if that is the issue?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That could be the issue (distance) but, I've sold several cars in the same manner, but I guess the economy is worst than before. The Esprit v8 is such a bargin of a car for what you are getting. Great bang for the buck. You're getting a twin turbocharged V8 like a F40 Ferrari, for 308 prices. I've owned 4Ferraris and the 308 doesn't come close in performance, reliablilty or creature comforts. Reallly a bargin. If it had a Ferrari or Lambo badge on it, it would sell for 3 times the price. I might just have to keep it! LOL! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
You need to re-size your pics, they are way too big!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for letting me know. For now until I learn how to do that, you can hit the control button on the key pad and scroll to your desired size.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts