The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Lotus Evora,

Tires have never been changed and it's about to hit 22k miles and any recommendations on what tires to get?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had to replace my 2 rears after 7.5k on my Evora S. I got 20" Continental Extreme DWS with 285s for rim protection. I heard that they last longer than stock Evora S wheels. I don't track my car so I don't know how well it does on the track. I really like them so far on the normal road and interstate.

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
Tire have wear bars in valleys of tread. When that bar touches pavement, your tires are illegally worn. And, more wear means less grip in the wet. This is likely in your owners manual.

BUT, tires also age out. Yours are too old to be on a performance car, assuming you don't only drive to supermarket and church. At 5 yrs, one can feel the difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
At 6 years old the tires are definitely going to be showing their age. While I wouldn't say they are dangerous they will have definitely fallen off of their peak performance and are also likely generating a lot of road noise due to being quite hard. I just bought new tires for my Evora 400 after it rolled over 30k miles. The only 2 tires I even considered were the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's and the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. They are said to be about on par with each other in the performance category. The Continentals are a bit cheaper but I was reading that the Michelin's last a bit longer and perform slightly better so I ended up ponying up the extra dough.

·
Registered
273 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora,

Tires have never been changed and it's about to hit 22k miles and any recommendations on what tires to get?
Best tires bang for the buck are the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They are grippy, quiet, and last a loooong time!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
They say no matter the wear tires should be changed out at 6 years old, especially on a performance car. I have been using the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and the new 4S on my R8's and now Huracan and find them great. So was pretty happy to see the Michelin Pilot Super Sports that Lotus put om my Evora 400

·
Registered
75 Posts
As stated your tires have aged out, they need replaced no matter how many miles are on them!

you can also look at the date code on the tire to see how old they are. Even though your car is a 2014, the tires could of been produced in 2012 or 2013.

thus replace them

in regards to what to get, kinda depends on budget and use of tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm glad so many people are mentioning the age. Matt Farah wrote a great article about how he is almost certain old tires were the ultimate cause of Paul Walker's death.

Paul Walker jumped in a Porsche GT that was just purchased with original tires and low miles. They likely assumed with the low mileage and low tire wear all was good. Don't just trust tread, factor in age too.

·
Loves to talk
868 Posts
I replaced my stock Mich. Super Sports with Super Sport 4Ss at 12K miles when the OEM tires started to feel looser. I usually get more distance but they may have heat cycled a bit in southern summer heat although the car was only on a track once with the originals. I was surprised they didn't go a little longer as they still had meat left but they are nice to drive the streets on.

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
As other have stated age is very important, rubber continues to cure as time goes on getting hard and less playable thus starts to crack. As to milage I maxed out my Mich. Super Sport 4S's at 12k miles on my Sport 410. Mostly highway driving plus two track days

·
Illegal Alien
4,690 Posts
Love PS4S's. My fat Chevy can rip a set apart quickly, but the Evora is a lot easier on them. Average life for a set of PS4S's in my Chevy is 3k miles, but I also drive hatefully.
3k was what I used to get from my P-Zero Corsa's on my S1 Evora.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best tires bang for the buck are the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. They are grippy, quiet, and last a loooong time!
Came to say this. I put the Firestones on before last summer and am very happy. The research I did made it seem like I will be putting quite a few miles on these!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts