The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll go first...I would like a leather boot cover for the e-brake handle as exposed stock one looks abit cheesy.

Then I would like a aluminum center console for the gear shifter(one that doesnt move an inch when you shift).

Then a plug and play 6000K HID kit in H1.

A factory car cover.

paint matched reflector covers so we can remove the hideous orange ones.

A gadget to jack car up w/out having top remove undertray/diffuser.

16 X 7.5 lightweight OEM wheels for front to get 205's on there for square setup.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Excellent list mact.

A lightweight easily-stored showercap would be nice. I think one exists, but I don't know where its available.

I'd go for a CF center console if done tastefully.

An HID kit would be great if the beams can focus in the stock housings or include new reflectors. I don't want one of those crazy aftermarket hack jobs that beams like a disco ball.

Mini transmitter for (Genie)garage or (fixed code) gate receivers would be great. Something that sits discretely out of sight.

A 'glove box' of some sort that provides closed/locking storage in the car somewhere.

All this from someone who doesn't have a car yet, of course.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I bought an airbag that inflates using the exhaust gases. Since the airbag covers a greater surface area than a jack and jackstand, I hope it can be placed under the Elise without having to worry about "punch-through" of the underbody panels.

Bob

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Question - what would you be lifting the Elise for and not be removing the undertray? The only thing I can think of changing wheels and you can do that already by using the side jacking points.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shinoo said:
We got a few of the items mentioned:

Custom Fit Elise Car Covers & Shower-caps
- we have quite a selection of covers

PIAA Xtreme light bulb upgrade - not HID but less expensive and less complex

We're working on several others...

Shinoo, that car cover looks pretty nice...will check out price on your website....cant go for the bulbs though cause they put out even less less luminal intensity than regular halogens when they are coated blue...2 people on ebay sell Philips 6000K ultinon kits in H1 with d2S bulbs for approx. 450.00...you should ask them where they get these kits from...they are genuine philips and I have previously bought the same kit for my MDX and they work really well...just bought this kit on ebay again yesterday(would have been nice to order from you guys though).

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meat said:
Question - what would you be lifting the Elise for and not be removing the undertray? The only thing I can think of changing wheels and you can do that already by using the side jacking points.

from reading previous posts on subject, I was lead to believe that when jacking car up, you had the remove undertray...???...so there are side points you can jack car up with w/out removing undertray huh?...any pics of these points?...are the points in middle so you can lift the entire side of car at once?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
We're talking about what may be the stiffest producton car chassis in history. You get 2 wheels of the ground no matter where you jack it up from.

There's a ~2" dia. round sticker on the chassis side rail for positioning a floor jack. I highly recommend getting a rubber pad for your floor jack to avoid metal on metal contact. It wouldbe a shame to dimple the chassis with the metal crenelations on your jack.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Robert Puertas said:
We're talking about what may be the stiffest producton car chassis in history. You get 2 wheels of the ground no matter where you jack it up from.

There's a ~2" dia. round sticker on the chassis side rail for positioning a floor jack. I highly recommend getting a rubber pad for your floor jack to avoid metal on metal contact. It wouldbe a shame to dimple the chassis with the metal crenelations on your jack.

Rbt, I own this one and works well cause its built well and it goes low...My previous car was dropped quite abit with coilovers and this jack worked well...I paid 150.00 for it last yr but now its on sale at Harbor Freight for 79.99 now(unbelievable deal cause Griots sells this either same or very similar jack for 500.00). Despite this jack having rubber covers, I still use a towel over rubber pad.

Anyone needing a high quality jack, I highly recommend this one. Im almost certain its the exact same unit I bought last yr at great price but now its even cheaper. I dont know how Harbor Freight stays in business, they have awesome prices on everything.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here's a website that describes the airbag type jack:

Airbag Jack

One manufacturer of them is MatJack

I bought this airbag jack because the Elise doesn't carry a spare. I wanted to be able to pull-off a tire on the roadside and transport it into town for flat repair if necessary. (Instead of using the chemical tire sealer or having it pulled onto a flatbed tow vehicle.) Also, I liked the idea of increasing the "lifting surface area" under the Elise so I didn't scratch, strain or punch-through the underdray. The airbag is rubber and will form around the contours of the Elise's chassis.

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
exhaust gas to lift car?

HMmmm, I've seen these before and wouldn't give it a second thought on some low tech SUV/old pickup motor.

buuuuttttttt?

Is the added backpressure (for lifting) of any consequence to the exhaust, heads, valves, rings, ECU, oxygen sensors?

I'm thinking that with large size, it would be a large volume/low pressure concept. But even 20-30 psi on the motor??

time for a technical discussion? Where are our gearhead engineers for this one?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
rtking said:
The airbag is rubber and will form around the contours of the Elise's chassis.
Which is totally flat on the underside, so not much to form around :D

Still.. I'd not like to use these.. You don't want to put any lifting pressure on the sheet-metal (alu) areas or fibregrass around the chassis beams.

It's pretty thin, so any load on these will bend (alu) or crack (fiber).

In case of the floor sheet under the seats then it's a big problem as that's bonded to the chassis and basically not replacable. If the engine undetray gets bent then you can more easily straigthen it or replace it.

I'd strongly reccommend waiting until you have the actual car and read the manual completely before going out and buying stuff..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: exhaust gas to lift car?

mslpilot said:
HMmmm, I've seen these before and wouldn't give it a second thought on some low tech SUV/old pickup motor.

buuuuttttttt?

Is the added backpressure (for lifting) of any consequence to the exhaust, heads, valves, rings, ECU, oxygen sensors?

I'm thinking that with large size, it would be a large volume/low pressure concept. But even 20-30 psi on the motor??

time for a technical discussion? Where are our gearhead engineers for this one?

thanks in advance

was thinking exact same thing...as stupid as this sounds, the first thought that came into my sick brain was from the movie "Beverly Hills Cop" when Axel Foley put that banana into the exhaust pipe and the car wouldnt run anymore...:D :D :D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Re: exhaust gas to lift car?

mact3333 said:
was thinking exact same thing...as stupid as this sounds, the first thought that came into my sick brain was from the movie "Beverly Hills Cop" when Axel Foley put that banana into the exhaust pipe and the car wouldnt run anymore...:D :D :D
Secrets of a misspent youth ... An engine will run with a banana in the tailpipe, but not with a potato :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: Re: Re: exhaust gas to lift car?

aletes said:
Secrets of a misspent youth ... An engine will run with a banana in the tailpipe, but not with a potato :)
Actually Mythbusters (Discovery Channel?) just did a test of a bunch of auto myths. If you've never seen the show it is pretty funny because they take a myth / urban legend and see if it is actually posslbe by trying to duplicate For cars they found:

Banana in tailpipe - no problem
Potato - shot like out of a cannon. Note they used a large displacement V8. Maybe a small 4 cyl will behave differently
Gun shots to gas tank - did not explode (were just debunking all those TV explosions)
Sugar in gas tank - ran fine!
Bleach in gas - no problem
Mothballs in gas - supposed to increase power - they claim they heard the engine "speed up". They deemed it plausible. I am not convinced.
Bleach in oil - yep, the crankcase vent smoked like crazy and then the engine died.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts