The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pertains to both Elise and Exige cars running the aftermarket exhausts with tips that exit high, close to the clams.

I saw a Mitsubishi Evolution with a big huge fartcan exhaust tip and right above it, the white body panel was burned to a dark brown, I'm guessing from the hot air coming off the tip or the radiant heat from the stainless tip itself.

I took a look at my car, and the Vision Function VF-R exhaust tip also comes out pretty close to the bottom of the clam and was wondering if anyone with any type of aftermarket exhaust has noticed any ill effects of high temperature gas affecting their paint or at least clear coat? I haven't noticed anything yet but who knows, maybe it's a matter of time?

Alp suggested putting some scraps of Star Shield over the area to protect it.

Anyone noticed anything or recommend any protection measures?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The huge fart can on an Evo is at least partially justified by the fact that it is a turbo car (21 psi peak, stock) and there are real, tangible benefits to running a low restriction exhaust. Also remember that the stock (and many custom) tunes run rich for safety, leading to the carbon buildup you see. Quite a few people install heat shields:

I have a high exit exhaust and neither heat nor carbon buildup are issues(although my car is NA, and it has been in this configuration for only a couple thousand miles)

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've had the VF exhaust for about a year and no problem. I did put some heat shield tape on the underside of the lip around the exhaust tip area. Even after spirited driving the body right above the exhaust tip is no more than warm to the touch. OTOH my car is nighfall blue, so if there are any stains they may not show up. But I don't think there is anything.

BTW, my car is regularly aspirated, so I can't add anything to the discussion if yours is SC.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
My buddy had that happen with an exhaust he imported from the UK. He ended up having to repaint/blend rear clam ad trunk interior. Went with the Arquay dual tip and had them wrapped to eliminate it from happening again.

·
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree with the need for a matching exhaust with a tuned engine. I race motorcycles with high compression engines and loud cans myself. Too bad the Evo was a base model with a cheap body kit on it that couldn't outrun my NA Elise.

In any event, those heat shield are cool, where can I get one for the VF-R? If not, do you have a picture on how you did the heat tape?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
all those EVO exhaust are too short.

I had an exhaust whose tip was short and pointed right at the bottom of the rear clam. I drove once and burned it up. I took it to a welder and he moved the hanger center points back thereby rotating the mufler (and tip) downward so it had a slight uptilt. Problem fixed. Just in case, i cut a heatshield tape strip and placed it under the rear clam right above the exhaust.

The tip of the zaust I have now sticks out pretty far, so not really worried. (but I'm gonna take to welder to cut down an inch to bring it in a little and to widen the elbow angle)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
how does your exhaust sit? post a pic .then we can help.

·
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how does your exhaust sit? post a pic .then we can help.
Let's see... pretty hard to see in pictures and depict the angles and distance of the pipe to the body but it's pretty close.

Harix tried to push it out as far as he could but it seems like the hanger might have to be recut and adjusted... or I can just buy the heat shield and tape. Where would I find that kind of stuff?

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
The exhaust I had before was really close to what you have now. I'd suggest you get some heatshield tape and attach as I have in the pic. (That's my latest exhaust and just left the tape there anyway.)

What you can do for the clam above that spot is to clean it more often. For example, after every drive I'd use a quick detailer and wipe the area above the exhaust off. Also clay bar will get rid of all that soot, but I never had a problem with soot build up.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Amazon. Works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts