The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in assuming that there are more (and better) aftermarket exhaust systems available for the earlier V8 Esprit --- '97 to '01 --- than there are for the later cars --- with the twin, center outlet configuration?

I don't think I've seen any systems for sale that are designed for the '02, '03, and FRE cars.....if there are any, who makes them?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that there are more (and better) aftermarket exhaust systems available for the earlier V8 Esprit --- '97 to '01 --- than there are for the later cars --- with the twin, center outlet configuration?

I don't think I've seen any systems for sale that are designed for the '02, '03, and FRE cars.....if there are any, who makes them?
Larini, if you like mufflers.
JAE, just straight pipes.
Prolly some more....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Tubi made some custom S/S exhaust mufflers for the earlier dual side exhaust V-8. I don't know if they ever made the center exhaust style.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So which do you guys think has the better exhaust sound ---

the earlier, dual pipe set-up?
(or)
the later, twin center pipes system?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It comes down to a matter of taste, I think.
The widely spaced pipes of the pre-2002s, sounded simply like two 4 cyl. engines running in close formation, IMO. When you place the tips of the two pipes close together, it seems to smooth the sound out a lot.
Video shows what I'm talking about. My 2003 with 200 cell cats, and center exhaust Larini mufflers has a smooth "roar" similar to the silver car in the video. Much, much quieter of course..

·
Registered
308 Posts
I paid a local muffler shop to build a dual exhuast off my SE 4-pot. the line comes off the cat to the center of the rear, Ys off to each side and then into the dual tips. Sure - it's loud, and spits flames once in a while, ... but I like it. My V8 Lincoln LS - same thing - custom piping, mufflers, x-pipe and tips - much less expensive than a kit.

my point - though you have a V8 - you can typically make an exhaust much cheaper than buying a pre-fab system.

Attachments

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
I have both set up (side and center)...and I happen to have videos on Youtube for both...I like the sound for both, the side exit has a deeper tone, and the center exit is higher pitch, you can be the judge of which one you like better. (BTW, the two center exit videos are recorded w/a camcorder that has better quality mic)

The silver car is GMendoza which is from the other video, it has a custom made center exit exhaust w/no muffler...

The Center Exhaust (Lotus 2002 stock center exit muffler)

The Side Exhaust (Custom made side exit with dual tips on each side, no muffler)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust Setup?

E5PR1T,
I’d really appreciate the details of the exact exhaust setup of the silver 02-04 car in the video...no silencer but are there stock cats or no cats/high flow cats?

I’ve got a Titanium Metallic 2000 in near perfect condition with less than 22K that is going to get a new exhaust system but I want to do it right like you have...

Please advise Sir.

Jeff

·
Car Adicted
172 Posts
I have a 98 that I had an issue with a cat.....so no cats and no muffler. Dropped significant weight without the muffler. It now goes straight from the Turbos to the side exit exhaust. I bought the set up from someone on Lotus Chat I think. It has dual tips coming out the back sides just like the original setup but with dual tips on each side versus single tips. The Turbo spools up super quick and you cant floor it in 1st gear with out breaking the tires loose. Sounds great now a real beast. Love it.

·
My car sneezes
620 Posts
Exhaust Setup?

E5PR1T,
I’d really appreciate the details of the exact exhaust setup of the silver 02-04 car in the video...no silencer but are there stock cats or no cats/high flow cats?

I’ve got a Titanium Metallic 2000 in near perfect condition with less than 22K that is going to get a new exhaust system but I want to do it right like you have...

Please advise Sir.

Jeff
The silver car is mine. At the time of the vid, it had straight pipes; no cats, no silencer. It was loud.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Back over 10 years ago Neil Micklewright was making custom SS exhausts for the 4 cylinder Stevens Esprit. It was a direct bolt on replacement. I pulled the trigger and I have to say the upgrade was well worth it. I had removed the cat and had my friend Jim Cummings make a bolt in down pipe. Totally badass!! Our fearless LEO leader Atwell gets a huge thanks for the install with the use of his lift.

If you want to light up a cigar... no problem... just ask me to fire up the Lotus!!

Neil Micklewright joined Forsythe Racing years later. No sure if he is still tied in, but if you could get a hold of him and ask, I’ll bet he would build you one... for the right price!!

Dominick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wingless Wonder
5,525 Posts
The Micklewright exhausts used a small diameter Magnaflow stainless steel muffler welded onto the appropriate sized 2.5" pipes for inlet and outlets. http://turboesprit.tripod.com/exhaust.html

I couldn't find the Magnaflow part number just now to verify availability, but @Sanj might respond with the details.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts