The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a front splitter to the Exige.

Want something track focused, aggressive and braced.

Does not have to be CF. I'm looking for effective and functional.

Please let me know what your using, how you like the performance, pros/cons, and include pictures.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Looking to add a front splitter to the Exige.

Want something track focused, aggressive and braced.

Does not have to be CF. I'm looking for effective and functional.

Please let me know what your using, how you like the performance, pros/cons, and include pictures.
Make a wood one

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The Reverie is probably the most effective.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seen the video Slow, its brilliant! Wish more people tested like that.

I'm amazed more people that track their car don't have any replies!

·
Registered
327 Posts
You know what I was really thinking is that corrugated aluminum. I think its called alumalite. Not to thick but strong. I see it used in a lot of aircraft applications.

http://www.signsforspokane.com/Portals/75467/images//substrate alumalite1.gif
I bought a huge sheet of this stuff years ago to make a splitter for one of my previous cars. Sold the car and never got around to doing it. It's 2mm plastic sandwiched between two 1mm layers of aluminum. Great stuff and you can order it in a variety of colours.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spiller, I looked at that to tonight......Thank you.

I've seen a lot of pictures of really aggressive splitters but I guess they are self manufactured and not mass produced.

·
Registered
327 Posts
the only advantage of say an APR splitter compared to home made is a) the CF is lighter than the alumalite and b) appearance.

If you mount the alumalite properly it can be rigid enough to do a very good job. plus $50 versus $700 to replace it when you bust it is enough to seal the deal for me.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Here are a couple pics of some splitters I've made for myself and for friends. I've used marine plywood, aluminum composite panels, and ABS plastic (what Legos are made of). The ABS plastic has held up best over time.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
+1 for Alumalite. One sheet is enough to make a splitter and side skirts with lots of left over material.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This may be a stupid question - but where did you get the template for your home made splitter?

Steve
You have to make one. I made mine by first bolting the square sheet to the car and then I took a ruler and a piece of aluminum with a sharpie taped to it and followed the front edge of the car. The rules for which I'm racing under dictate a max of 6" for projection so I set my sharpie at 5.5". Then I cut it out and smoothed it by sanding.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This may be a stupid question - but where did you get the template for your home made splitter?

Steve
I made it by getting some plastic sheet from home depot and drawing on it the rough shape of the splitter I wanted. Then I kept refining it bit by bit.

After I had my shape, I then drew grid lines over my template and entered the measurements into a CAD program on my computer. The end result of this was a computer file that I can use to CNC cut the designs out of any material I want.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is brilliant bro!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts