The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my aftermarket head (OBX) and the Dcat. Everything lines up fine and the quality is great for the low price. The only knock I have so far is that the bolts and springs to be used at this flange are too short. I checked out a few other aftermarket suppliers and they use solid joints at this point. Will this not eventually crack? I know these cars have alot of engine rotation. What takes up that movement? The muffler mounts?

Attachments

·
Wow Such Admin
6,958 Posts
When I needed bolts/springs in the past I just shopped around. I found some at advance auto that had different lengths (not the exact one I needed but they had different sizes). I ended up finding the exact size I needed at the Toyota dealer. Honda uses springs with their bolts as well. Its just a matter of figuring out what size you need.

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
That install will not hold up. Too much vibration and torque due to engine moving under acceleration. Looks like you didn't even use locking nuts or lock tight on the nuts and bolt threads.

Beware, many cars have caught on fire from exhuast leak ignighting fiberglass above it. Acts like a torch and will burn right thru the heat shield protection.

This is what a proper install looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That install will not hold up. Too much vibration and torque due to engine moving under acceleration. Looks like you didn't even use locking nuts or lock tight on the nuts and bolt threads.

Beware, many cars have caught on fire from exhuast leak ignighting fiberglass above it. Acts like a torch and will burn right thru the heat shield protection.

This is what a proper install looks like.
I appreciate your reply. The nuts are locking nuts. they have teeth cut into the washer face to prevent them from spinning backwards. I have not heard of anyone using loctite on the exhaust as it gets exceptionally hot but I guess there may be a special kind out there somewhere. My main concern is that the rotation of the engine is going to eventually crack something but I have seen systems that dont use flexible fittings.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a 2bular header and a factory header. the factory has some flex right at the flange. If I install the springs on mine I should have something similar I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after talking to someone more knowledgable then me on the movement of these engines I decided to go with a spring setup. Here is what I came up with. The store didnt sell deformed thread locknuts so I put a couple nuts on my hydraulic press and deformed them about .015" . They work Like a charm.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts