The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm curious if anyone has installed an aftermarket supercharger to their elise, and whether or not they were able to pass california Smog afterwards? Thanks in advance

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Hello, I'm curious if anyone has installed an aftermarket supercharger to their elise, and whether or not they were able to pass california Smog afterwards? Thanks in advance
Technically it would fail the visual inspection. That said the scarcity of Lotus cars almost ensures the inspector doesn't know what they're looking at.

My first smog inspection I had to drive the car onto the dyno as the workers weren't comfortable with driving the car. They definately didn't know what to look for.

San

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's a bit of a gamble then? Would it most likely pass by the numbers? It's would be a tough pill to swallow to invest the money in the supercharger and then have to rip it all out.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
If your current choices are normally aspirated or high-risk aftermarket supercharger, consider a third alternative: a factory supercharger retrofit from Lotus. Their parts and the resulting modifications should be CARB legal.

Glen

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Exact same parts so if Factory passes, Katana passes.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
A BOE REV 400 has passed CA smog - the thread is in force fed forum!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Fwiw MA inspection is the same is CA, and I pass no issue with a bwr blower on stock flashed ecu. Unless they know what they are looking for, they won't notice anything.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If your current choices are normally aspirated or high-risk aftermarket supercharger, consider a third alternative: a factory supercharger retrofit from Lotus. Their parts and the resulting modifications should be CARB legal.

Glen
+1
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
A katana will pass omissions by the numbers and ready status. It is up to the shop wether it will pass visual. I know many guys in California who pass.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Fwiw MA inspection is the same is CA, and I pass no issue with a bwr blower on stock flashed ecu. Unless they know what they are looking for, they won't notice anything.
Having dealt with both MA and CA emissions, this is incorrect. MA cares about tailpipe emissions, not the specific systems installed in the car. CA mandates that all the parts of your intake, engine, and cat system by CARB certified. If some part isn't, you're supposed to fail the visual inspection, even if your car emits clean air. CA has a nice racket going where manufacturers have to pay protection money for these certifications. So, technically, non-CARB superchargers should fail, and you're taking a gamble. You have to go find a mechanic who's willing to overlook it (but it's risky, and costs $$ as a result). If you fail once, you're now in for a world of hurt, since the state can require you to get subsequent inspections at one of their stations.

They can still detect a supercharger as well. The testing gear pulls the CVN (calibration verification number) from your ECU, which is computed from the maps, and the maps are different with an S/C. Thankfully, the bastards aren't using this yet.

All this hassle is why I paid much more (~$6000) for the weakest option available - the factory SC, but it happens to be CARB certified.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
What if the car has a Koldfire tune for the SC? Do I have to flash it back to stock and drive it super slow and safe to a smog station or can I just smog it with the Koldfire tune as-is and it should still pass all the readiness code and sniffer test?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Koldfire flash is fine. Any flash is fine for now. The sniffer should pass as long as you have the cat on the car.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My car pass smog with flying colors a few days ago here in CA. You can not go in with the Koldfire tune. You must flash it back to the stock tune in order to pass.

My SC kit was the BWR kit with Koldfire 250 tune. After flashing back to stock, I monitored the STFT and LTFT and it was all over the place. After idling it for 10 minutes, the ECU adjusted the fuel trims and the idle sounded much better. This is due to the fact that the SC uses 440cc injectors. The readiness codes actually became ready fairly fast. After 20 miles of driving, the car was ready to be smogged.

I got the printed results back and the technician commented on how clean the car ran....which is surprising because the car has bigger injectors than stock.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
whatwere the emission numbers?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
don't rip out the supercharger, just go to a smog shop 1st and see what happens. Probably won't be a bad idea to shop around what smog station you take your car to.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Exact same parts so if Factory passes, Katana passes.
Not true.

CA is a fascist dictatorship. Even if the parts are the same, if they aren't all certified together, technically, you fail the visual inspection. If Lotus certifies the parts, it means Lotus has a smog certificate, not anyone else who sells the same parts that haven't been officially certified from that manufacturer. It's a giant money making protection racket.

The Lotus factory supercharger, which I have, comes with a smog certification to show the smog tester when you get your car done. I intend to try it without the cert, since the car IS stock, just factory modified, and I don't want to have mods on my record, since that forces you to use much more stringent smog check stations.

It's all BS. Find some local people who mod cars and ask them if they have a "favorite" smog guy. I guarantee you he'll cost $50-100 more than the cheap stations, but your car will pass :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Question for you CA guys - what happens if you move to California with a car that was purchased outside of CA, has mods that were installed while living in a different state, and now needs to pass CA smog?

Are you out of luck and need to sell the car prior to moving?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts