The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we know, yet, what options we have re: suspension (mainly shocks/springs, I'm guessing) in the aftermarket? Do we know approximate prices on those components? If there is or will be 3rd party suspension upgrades, are they hard-core race products for the most part?

It's finally time to place my order & I'm waffling on the LSS. On one hand, I've never had a car that's suspension was not eventually upgraded, so why waste money on LSS? After reading Randy's first thoughts from his practice sessions, it seems as though the LSS may not even be the best for this car. On the other hand, Lotus seems to be pretty good at this sort of thing, so why trust anyone else? I also don't want a car that's unusable on the road because the suspension is *too* stiff.

hmmmm

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
It really depends what you want to do with your car. If you are going to be casually tracking the car, then I might suggest just getting the package.

Are you going to be running slicks at the track on different wheels? Are you going to enter competitive events?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My guys in Australia are working on a Koni set up thats relatively inexpensive. I hear that Robert Puertas is working on some Penske set up. I can only imagine what a Penske damper set up will cost. My experience from racing is that they can run well over $1,000 per corner just for the dampers!!!! Regardless, it should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Penske doubles should be closer to $700 -750 per corner. Penske single adjustables should be a bit less, but we won't kow if they can be done until we have a set of stock shocks in hand and can take measurements.

I expect our top of the line Koni doubles to be in the same $700-750 range.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I ordered a set of Ohlins for a customer of mine in South Smerica. He runs a car in the local stock car championships and the 4 way adjustable ohlins custom made to his specs were in the $2,700.00 range per corner:eek: I think I'll keep my Elise stock for the amount of track work I'll be doing!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I drove Mark Starrs Exige S1 up at Watkins Glen with the Nitrons last month. The car felt just awesome, although he may have the car lowered too much since the rear wheels rub on the inner side wheel well.

I donot have any experience with Ohlins other than they are a top shelf damper like Penskes and cost an arm and a leg.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
55 Posts
hermanslotus said:
....although he may have the car lowered too much since the rear wheels rub on the inner side wheel well.

TADTS.

My liners are full of holes, and I run the car at approx the std ride heights. I'm also on the NItrons and they are very good, I'm running slightly stiffer springs than normally come with the kit as standard(400/475lbs vrs 325/400 std kit).

BTW Nitrons will be approx $1300-1500 a set.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mark A said:
TADTS.

My liners are full of holes, and I run the car at approx the std ride heights. I'm also on the NItrons and they are very good, I'm running slightly stiffer springs than normally come with the kit as standard(400/475lbs vrs 325/400 std kit).

BTW Nitrons will be approx $1300-1500 a set.

Hmm, I'll pass this along to Mark. He may want to try a siffer spring than the ones he's got on the car now. Thanks for that info.

WOW that price is great considering what you get. I am considering trying the Nitrons when I get my Elise. They are a great bang for the buck.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Does anybody know if and how Nitron plans to sell (and service) their shocks in the US? I've been browsing around on SELOC, and they seem to be highly regarded.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Nitron are very concerned they will get sued by some American because their shocks caused them to spill hot coffee in their laps.

Several of their retailers have been told in no uncertain terms that if they sell a set of shocks to the US, it will be their last.

A pity, because by all accounts, their single-adjustable shocks seem quite nice, and at $1500 for a set, they are very attractively priced.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Nitron are very concerned they will get sued by some American because their shocks caused them to spill hot coffee in their laps.
Nitron Racing is taking a very ignorant business position.

This is not the type of product the "suing" type buys. Also, lawyers on percentage typically aren't interested in going after small companies.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
There is a very general perception on the other side of the pond about how the Americans are, some a little deserved, but a LOT of it overblown.

The McDonalds coffee is always held up as an example, yet often those doing so have no real idea about the case and only think of it in very simplistic terms. Dumb lady spills some coffee she paid for. Gets millions.

In reality, the case was very far from that....but it was presented that way by the European press, even more than the American media which also tended to show the more interesting aspect of the case and ignoring the details.

A quick read of the case here-
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

One can download a paper (PDF) on the McDonalds case and how it was presented in Europe as Urban Legend here-
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=545243

Interesting to read the section titled McDonald's The Facts.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It also can't help our cause to have people here on this message board threatening to sue Lotus over price increases and production delays. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I guess no Nitron's unless we smuggle them into the country?

The British, Norwegians, French, and Australians seem to love the Nitrons, so it is too bad that they may not be imported. Has anyone talked to Nitron Racing lately about importation?

Or, has anyone used the double adjustable Ohlin's who cares to share their experience (even if it is from another car)?

BTW, I think the Ohlin's are now available from Lotus Motorsport.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ohlins generally need to be rebuilt quite often. I'm personnally not looking for a shock that doesn't last as long as a set of tires.

I've heard that Spax is willing to sell to private parties in the U.S. just not sure how good they are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spax are rubbish in comparison to the others mentioned, (Nitrons & Ohlins) I ran Spax on my previous Elise (a S160) and they were adequate, but parts quality wasn't good and the characteristics were a bit agricultural.

Unless it was all you could afford then don't touch them!.

I'm not going to get into a debate about the European perception of Americans and their tendancy to sue (some very big companies are nervous of the US market as well as the small ones) but unfortunately the perception exists and as Robert says, comments from people threatening to sue over delivery delays don't help the case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a shame that Nitron won't sell their single adjustable - it sounds like an excellent price point. I am confused - as I thought I heard of BMW guys running Nitrons - am I wrong?

It looks like it will be a set of Penskes next year.

Steve

1 - 20 of 97 Posts