The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
do we have any idea on sport exhaust pricing?

I want black rims and the sport exhaust.... I figure we can just powdercoat the rims, but I haven't heard anything about the aforementioned exhaust, except that it will be an option... ah, heck, at this point - just give me the car - who else is losing sleep at night?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
stage 1 and stage 2 exhaust are both to be offered, in the $600 range. Stage 2 is approx 12-13 pounds lighter than standard, apparently minimal actual hp gains. (1hp for st 2?)

Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
stage 1 and stage 2 exhaust are both to be offered, in the $600 range. Stage 2 is approx 12-13 pounds lighter than standard, apparently minimal actual hp gains. (1hp for st 2?)

Chris
Those numbers are about what I was told, however I was told stage I was cheaper than stage II.

Have you heard the stage II. How many decibels are the two?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd have thought more pertinent questions might be:

"Does it/they affect my warranty"

"Does it provide sufficient backpressure to bring the Cat up to temperature?"

"Will it shag my $1000 cat"

"Does it need/require a cat?" "

"Will I pass emissions with one fitted"

"Will I pass track drive-by tests"

Noise is cool, I admit - I had the Lotus sport exhaust - and promptly got banned from tracks left right and center!

...but until these important questions are answered people who are buying this thing for the street (like me) might wanna slow down a little...

Devils advocate and all that...

:)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Paul MD said:
I'd have thought more pertinent questions might be:

"Does it/they affect my warranty"

"Does it provide sufficient backpressure to bring the Cat up to temperature?"

"Will it shag my $1000 cat"

"Does it need/require a cat?" "

"Will I pass emissions with one fitted"

"Will I pass track drive-by tests"

Noise is cool, I admit - I had the Lotus sport exhaust - and promptly got banned from tracks left right and center!

...but until these important questions are answered people who are buying this thing for the street (like me) might wanna slow down a little...

Devils advocate and all that...

Why would it affect my warranty?

Why wouldn't I pass emissions?

Why would it shag my cat? Pervy :D

This is a dealer-installed option. I assume that it should not affect any of the above and should also be street legal. I also am concerned about getting banned from tracks that is why I asked about decibels.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Because if a performance exhaust does not provide sufficient back pressure (the very thing it aims to reduce), the cat does not get up to working (high) temperature quickly (enough) and becomes unable to function correctly and burn off captured compunds, it then becomes bogged down with undesirable products of combustion and (can) fail to recover from this (ever).

The brochure will surely say "for track use only" - it always did - whereupon all kinds of caveats regarding use and warranty become an issue since it is not necessarily pre-supposed that one needs to operate a track only exhaust with a cat and hence it is not necessaily designed with the perfomance of such in mind.

Hence all very good questions to ask...

I solved the problem by keeping my old cat safely boxed up in my garage - but there seem to be many good reasons that such a course of action is not wise in the USA

Sheep would be my preference of course... :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Can anyone describe the sounds of the different exhausts. Wouldn't want continuous farting sounds. They become contagious, like when you see a person yawn. And with only two people in an Elise at one time (max.), I'm unable to blame her and make her believe it when
she knows she didn't do it. With three people in a vehicle it's possible to blame someone other than yourself and never
have to say your sorry. Not with two.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Can anyone describe the sounds of the different exhausts. Wouldn't want continuous farting sounds. They become contagious, like when you see a person yawn. And with only two people in an Elise at one time (max.), I'm unable to blame her and make her believe it when
she knows she didn't do it. With three people in a vehicle it's possible to blame someone other than yourself and never
have to say your sorry. Not with two.
Just say it came from outside... Sewer main or something;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts