The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of Hoosier wets for free from someone needing to make space during a move, but I noticed that the date code is pretty old. I do trust that they have been kept in a heated garage 100%. All the info on hoosier's site is of course oriented towards "optimum performance" and of course they have zero motive to say anything that leads you to keep the tire longer since they are trying to sell more tires. I'm pretty sure many folks safely use their Hoosier wets for more than 2 years so the info on their site is useless lawyer/sales driven BS.

I don't care if they are optimum performance, I just hope that the water evacuation of the tread pattern will be much better than the R1R's presently on my "wet wheels" and even if they've gone a bit off in terms of grip they're going to be no worse than street tires. The only concern is if there's risk of blowout/failure (autox use). So I'd like to hear experiences folks have with how long they kept//used hoosier wets safely or any cases where they failed, possibly due to age.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The difference between my 3 year old H2Os that had been stored properly and my fresh ones was dramatic. I'd guess that some deep tread R1R's would provide better grip than old H2Os. blech. It's hard to overstate how bad they were.

Good luck! You'll find out how much grip you have when you try them.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The difference between my 3 year old H2Os that had been stored properly and my fresh ones was dramatic. I'd guess that some deep tread R1R's would provide better grip than old H2Os. blech. It's hard to overstate how bad they were.

Good luck! You'll find out how much grip you have when you try them.
I agree with this. If I could get heat in them (mid wet at COTA) they were ok... but the old tires were USELESS in the full wet at cresson. doubt any better then slicks.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is I would need to unmount the R1R's and now it sounds like that's questionable. Hmm. R1R's are not exactly young either though meh.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I still use some times my very old WET not well stored when it rain this summer 2 times. The traction is less than new, and not optimum at all. But, the tires still extract water well. They were 8 years old at least, and they were used 8 years ago on wet and mid-wet situation. It was difficult to go upto .7 G on curve with then, and new, they were good for .85G. On straight line this summer, I reached on water more than 140 mph safely.

Yours can not be worst than mine... I will buy a new set for next summer...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts