The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about before but there does not seem to be any answers. I am almost 6'2 220 and the damn lip on the edge of the seats is giving me a black and blue mark on my thigh. I took my car to a seat guy who told me that if you cut off those portions of the seat the integrity of the seatbelt is compromised. It seems that the seatbelt is bolted through the seat. He felt that cutting the seat down would weaken this area and if I were to crash the belt would not hold. He suggested putting more padding in this area which I might try but in the end what I really want is a more comfortable seat. I know I know...this is not a luxury car. Is there any progress in the aftermarket seat world for the Elise?

PS. Just got the car yesterday and I freegin love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
plesset said:
I know this has been talked about before but there does not seem to be any answers. I am almost 6'2 220 and the damn lip on the edge of the seats is giving me a black and blue mark on my thigh. I took my car to a seat guy who told me that if you cut off those portions of the seat the integrity of the seatbelt is compromised. It seems that the seatbelt is bolted through the seat. He felt that cutting the seat down would weaken this area and if I were to crash the belt would not hold. He suggested putting more padding in this area which I might try but in the end what I really want is a more comfortable seat. I know I know...this is not a luxury car. Is there any progress in the aftermarket seat world for the Elise?

PS. Just got the car yesterday and I freegin love it!
There are several aftermarket seats available for the Liz. Eliseparts sells seats; you might want to check out their website.

Congrates on the car:clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,344 Posts
I'm partly with you on this... it's too tight to be comfortable over a long trip... my legs ride right across the bolsters due to my height. (having to bend my knees) I'm thinking about trying to angle the seat back a little bit more to see if that will allow me to change my position enough that my legs don't cut across the bolsters.

Any thoughts on the best way to do this?


Cade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked out eliseparts.com....thanks. I like the look of the seats there but they don't have them in beige. Bummer. I called back the seat guy and he said I should beef up the "butt" area so that the foam is higher than the side lip. This sounds like a good idea but I am too tall for this solution since I would loose 2 inches of headroom. I am tempted to just rip the seat out and sit on the floor on a pillow since this might be more comfortable for me! A friend of mine used to have an Alpha which seemed to be around the same size and that was a really comfortable seat. I wonder if it would fit. It sucks to have this kind of issue. Now I know how heavy set people feel on airplanes. Please someone make a seat for big kids!
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,353 Posts
I've had one customer who is 6' 2" and about 220lbs sit in our ReVerie seat. He felt it was much better than stock. I'll bring out one of these seats to the the AutoX this Sat. There will be a bunch of Elisetalkers at this event that'll likely try out the seat. I'll ask them to post their comments/opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shinoo: Thanks I would appreciate that. Hopefully that will be my answer.

TonyYoshi: already on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
2 words for you... Atkins Diet. :)
Tony knows about diets, he put his car on one:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
Patricko said:
Tony knows about diets, he put his car on one:D
and it was amazing to feel the difference with you in the car (not trying to insult). i'm so used to driving the car with no passenger that when i do have a passenger it's a totally different car. much much slower and cornering all shot to hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
plesset,

There are lots of us with this problem. I'm 6'5" and still trying seats, working on finding the right solution. When I have something that works for me, I'll do a posting, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I find the seat reasonably cofortable, but I would like to sit 1-2 inches lower. Are there any mods to lower the seat? Any seats that ride lower than the stock seats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
tonyyoshi said:
and it was amazing to feel the difference with you in the car (not trying to insult). i'm so used to driving the car with no passenger that when i do have a passenger it's a totally different car. much much slower and cornering all shot to hell.
Hello Tony,

That is ok, I can take it:)

I also notice the difference with a passenger; it is a big difference...

Patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
blackburn said:
Are there any mods to lower the seat? Any seats that ride lower than the stock seats?
No can do. No space under seat to go lower.

Solution: remove all padding.. (eg. look at the reverie seats..)

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,710 Posts
i know some of the sparco seats will fit...
sparco has dimensions for each of their seats listed on their site.
it would help if we knew the dimensions of the elise seat then we would know for sure.
check out sparco...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I had the same problem with the stock seats. They pinched me a little. But for me losing weight would only make me unhealthily skinny. And it is my hip bones digging into the seat. I was really hoping I could just shave about 1/8" off the inside of each side only at the top. I wouldn't have though it would affect the rigidity that much. I wouldn't mind going with the Reverie seats, except it would take me out of stock class. (So, would shaving the seats, I suppose. But no one would notice or care, as I don't plan on doing any serious competitions.) When I looked at the specs for the Reverie seats online, they didn't seem to be big enough, or any bigger? I won't have my car for at least 6 months. So, I am not in a hurry to find a solution. However...

Please, anyone, post how any aftermarket seats compares to the stock seat. Thanks. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a feeling that its going to be a little while before this problem is solved. I am in the same boat as you, not overwheight, just a big guy. I can't believe that more people are not having this same issue. At least 10 to 20% of owners must be around my size I would assume. Hopefully as the number of cars in the U.S. increases a manufacturer will have enough of a market to make a nice seat for the the larger guys out there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
338 Posts
I find the seatbacks to be too straight with...

I test drove the Elise last week and really loved the car, however I have a trick lower back and am used to having car seats with good lumbar support. The seat-backs in the Elise seemed to be almost straight down without much lumbar support. I can't understand for the life of me why the standard seats are so straight. There is a natural curve to the back. Do you know what I am getting at, most seats come down from the top and start to bulge out to fill in the natural arch in the back and then it curves back in where the seat back meets the bottom cushion. I tried pumping up the lumbar support that comes with the standard seats and it seemed to me like it was inflating near the center of the seat cack rather than the lower lumbar area where I need the support.
How difficult would it be to have the seat re-upholstered (stuffed with extra padding in the lumbar area) where I need it most? Would it be possible? I don't have any problems with the seat bottom, just the lumbar area of the seat back.

Cheers Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,165 Posts
Re: I find the seatbacks to be too straight with...

Maverick1 said:

How difficult would it be to have the seat re-upholstered (stuffed with extra padding in the lumbar area) where I need it most? Would it be possible? I don't have any problems with the seat bottom, just the lumbar area of the seat back.
It wouldn't be any problem for an automotive upholstery shop. They can add foam, relocate the pump up lumbar support (possibilty), or add a massager. Whatever you want. :)
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,353 Posts
<b>Bad news:</b> Sorry I did not get the ReVerie seat in my car in time for the AutoX. No test fitting as a result.

<b>Good news: </b> We have a very good seat solution in the works. It should be ready by early Jan. Chococar has graciously volunteered to be our tester. Initial fitting was very good. Slight mods to the seat are needed to get it to fit in the Elise properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
funny, i and most people i have given rides to in my car have found the seats to not be nearly tight enough. I guess the difference is that i use the car primarily on the track. For track use everyone is all over the place in the stockers.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top