The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just at the track day that was an extension to LOG and my car has the dash, I downloaded all 7 configs (we ran outer loop) and the bottom of my dash seemed to know it was at "Miller Motorsports (outer)" but it would not record a session!

I tried automatic (nearest track) and I also tried manually and nothing showed up. I've never had a problem with any other track before.

Steve M. said his V6 Exige was behaving a little weird too.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm not sure the lack of recording and the trouble recognizing the track are related. I've done at least several data recordings on the street (obviously with no track recognized) and the recordings worked fine (I was either testing new sensors or getting vehicle speed and gps speed data to calculate the speed correction). I assume you had the display set to digital or analog "track" (versus "road"), did you notice if the red record indicator (lower right on the dash display) was turning on?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked - smarty cam did record my sessions but without data from the dash, I can't analyze or easily figure out which one is which. I can look at the lap timer to get some times which is cool.

I've used this plenty of times before and never had a problem. I don't recall seeing the record light but when I'm on track, I"m not exacly looking for it (although I probably could have checked in the hot pits). Yes, its definitely in track mode. I know there was an update where they prevented recording in street mode which is a desirable update but I doubt thats related - otherwise why would the smarty cam work (and pick up at least the CANbus data but the in-dash unit not show the data recordings?).

·
Registered
957 Posts
The SmartyCam recording and the dash recording triggers aren’t linked. IOW, the dash can record with the camera not recording, and the camera can record with the dash not recording (the data is always streaming from the dash to the camera regardless of whether the dash is recording or not).

I’ve done many track recordings as well. During track days I’ll switch the dash from the “track” display to the “road” display when warming the engine or refueling, to avoid the unnecessary recordings, and switch back to “track” before heading out from the paddock to the staging area (my first few track days with the MX2E I ended up with a bunch of unnecessary recordings because I left it in “track” mode all the time). If I was missing a track session on the dash the simplest explanation would be that I forgot to set the dash back to the “track” display.

If you leave it in “track” mode all the time I can’t explain why the dash wouldn’t record. All I can suggest is that next time out you check for the recording indicator while buckling up (after you’ve started the engine), and see if it’s coming on or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't leave it in track mode all the time - only when I go to a track. Never had a problem before. My Smarty Cam is on the harness bar so no way it can get GPS by itself so it must be triggered by the AiM Dash.

In any case, you are right that the MX2E did inadvertantly record some times in "Road" mode but they just provided a software update that fixes that.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't leave it in track mode all the time - only when I go to a track. Never had a problem before. My Smarty Cam is on the harness bar so no way it can get GPS by itself so it must be triggered by the AiM Dash.

In any case, you are right that the MX2E did inadvertantly record some times in "Road" mode but they just provided a software update that fixes that.
So you don't switch between road and track mode while you're at the track; I do, which is why I mentioned it. My point was that the SmartyCam gets data from the MX2E (including gps) regardless of whether the MX2E is recording or not. And just because the camera starts recording doesn't mean the MX2E has started recording.
But this whole discussion of the SmartyCam seems irrelevant to your issue of the MX2E not recording some of your track sessions. I suggest you test it on the street (so no track will be recognized): put it in track mode, start the engine, and see if the recording indicator turns on (it should). Then go for a short drive and see if you have a recording to download. If it fails to record (with or without the recording indicator coming on), contact AiM tech support.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts