The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Exige with an MX2E dash. I would like to expand the data capture. In stock form it is pretty limited as it is CAN only. So a lot of the data you see over a bluetooth ODB2 dongle just doesn't get captured (my understanding is that this is using a different format from CAN). So the reality ends up being that an iPhone running Harry's laptimer with an external GPS and a bluetooth ODB2 dongle is actually superior from a data logging standpoint than a $2000+ MX2E. It appears that an MX2E doesn't even have a real accelerometer, it just estimates something from GPS (not wanting to get into that in this thread, I will start a new thread for that later).

So my question, has anyone expanded the data logging of the MX2E? What is/is not possible? I know what the marketing site says (basically you can hook up anything with enough expansion hubs) but a dealer is telling me something completely different from what the website says. Has anyone done anything like hookup third party sensors to one of these dashes or something equivalent? Should I just drop the idea of using AiM and move to a dedicated data logger?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yes. And by me, I mean, requested Jon @ Track spec do it. You need an AIM expansion hub and the sensors but 100% doable.

I get oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure and boost.

I know another guy with a custom setup collecting front brake data on his AIM.

Great system.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
At least you have a CAN to get engine data. The expansion hub and additional sensors is the way to go. Even the electrical noise from ignition means I can't get a good tach signal. My race car is completely analog, so everything requires a sensor.

I have an MXL Pista with a Smartycam GP and GPS antenna. I installed sensors for throttle position, brake pressures F/R, steering position sensor. All of it gets overlaid on my smartycam video along with track position, calculated gear and g's. Next years budget will include shock pot sensors and pitch/yaw calc channels...

My brother has a raspberry pi kit that converts his heart rate and respiration and updates to the MX2E. He also built an app called DRIVERMONITOR.APP so you know how far you are ahead or behind your competitors. DRIVERMONITOR.APP

Trackspec is great if you want it all installed and configured for you. There is an excellent AIM group on the Book of Faces that is very helpful for DIY. Facebook Groups

1 - 3 of 3 Posts