The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently installed the Lotus AIM digital dash kit with back up cam, I really think that the Exige in particular needs a reverse cam because of the lack of visibility caused by the rear hatch. Although I never liked the conventional placement above the license plate due to how low it is, so here is my custom install in the 3rd brake light and how the visibility looks. I think its a great view angle and really adds true view to where I we need it most. There is a curvature to the brake light lens that the camera trim could not conform to, so I had to seal it with a moldable silicone.

Disclaimer: DO NOT place the camera center mounted in the light, you might want to place directly inline with one of the actual bulbs. I wasn't thinking when I went to drill the hole, and found out soon after that there wasn't enough room for the whole camera so I had to route out a decent section of the light housing to fit everything.

·
2006 Exige
849 Posts
Looks great! Nice place to mount the camera.

I'm still 'using the force' when reversing in my Exige.

·
Registered
2010 Mazda RX-8
8 Posts
This is super clean. I'll be looking to do something similar with my car.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it turn on when you put it in reverse?
As AustinP stated, the reverse cam is activated by the "old" trip button after you do the AIM install, technically the reverse cam is always powered, so I can potentially use this as my rear view.

I will add this to the OP but there is a huge disclaimer for anyone attempting this mod, DO NOT place the camera center mounted in the light, you might want to place directly inline with one of the actual bulbs. I wasn't thinking when I went to drill the hole, and found out soon after that there wasn't enough room for the whole camera so I had to route out a decent section of the light housing to fit everything.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put mine as a clip on the license plate frame and routed through the hole where the light is up to the trunk. It is so nice to be able to see out the back on that huge screen!

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those with the AiM rear camera kit...
  • Where did you route the cable?
  • Did you need to buy the patch cable to extend, or did it come with enough length out of the box?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I routed mine through the drivers sill. You’ll definitely need the extension cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my AIM and Camera from Lotus Galpin and the extension was part of the camera kit, its not a separate item on the invoice, you can also get it from AIM directly. If I did it again, I'd buy a standard Amazon/ebay back up cam and buy the AIM harness with the power and video connection.

For routing wires, I followed this guide: Wiring Routing Pictures - Cockpit to Trunk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

1 - 16 of 16 Posts