The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in a la convertible mode today and I could not figure why hot air was coming from the vents and from below. There does not seem to be a way to shut this off. Or is there?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
I think what you are referring to is:

When a Lotus Elise/Exige gets warmed up, hot air will flow out of the dash.

It's hot air circulating from the radiator area and it's normal.

Annoying but normal. Just like any race car.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Blocking the vents in the front air intake will help. Search for the viper's thread on AC mods. Remove the front grill and tape cardboard or your choice of material over the outside air intake vents. Problem solved (or lessened).

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blocking the vents in the front air intake will help. Search for the viper's thread on AC mods. Remove the front grill and tape cardboard or your choice of material over the outside air intake vents. Problem solved (or lessened).
A bit over my knowledge to do this. Anyone know a place who can do this in the NY or NJ area?

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's pretty easy. Undo the 4 clips holding the center grill in, remove, duct tape over the 2 intakes inside the crash structure.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It takes 5 mins and your neighbor's kid could do it.

Once you take the grill off (30 seconds) shine a flashlight into the opening - straight back. You will see one rectangular opening on each side. They will be obvious once you see them. Make them rectangular closings. Done.

·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a guide with step by step instructions or pics on what/how to do? Don't want to break anything.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You have just been fed many fish. Next time throw the line out yourself ;).

IMO, it will take you longer to dig through viper's thread than it would to just go out and look at your car. Seriously you are going to go "Oh, how simple" once you actually see it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
You have just been fed many fish. Next time throw the line out yourself ;).

IMO, it will take you longer to dig through viper's thread than it would to just go out and look at your car. Seriously you are going to go "Oh, how simple" once you actually see it.
Sorry to disagree with you RoadDad ;), but blocking the front vents have no effect on the warm air coming through the interior vents with the AC off. This effect is caused by heat soak from the engine cooling system and the route of entry air does not matter, it will still be heated. However, blocking those front vents does have a considerable effect when the AC is turned on because the system is now using only interior conditioned air.
Michael

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you RoadDad ;), but blocking the front vents have no effect on the warm air coming through the interior vents with the AC off. This effect is caused by heat soak from the engine cooling system and the route of entry air does not matter, it will still be heated. However, blocking those front vents does have a considerable effect when the AC is turned on because the system is now using only interior conditioned air.
Michael
You've done far more with the airflow than I have for sure and you may be right as my car certainly hasn't always behaved (in typical Lotus fashion) but when I blocked mine the air stopped coming through the vents completely unless the fan is on :shrug:.

So, with that, YMMV :D.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Actually, what you "were" experiencing before blocking the vents was the "ram air" effect when your car was moving, and you are correct it will stop that. Thanks for pointing that out :).
Cheers,
Michael
You've done far more with the airflow than I have for sure and you may be right as my car certainly hasn't always behaved (in typical Lotus fashion) but when I blocked mine the air stopped coming through the vents completely unless the fan is on :shrug:.

So, with that, YMMV :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts