The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
hi redletter, yes is the short answer...it is a warranty item and not at all uncommon on the evora..i not only had that,but also most of the stitching had pulled and staples exposed on the dash seams...all were replaced by the dealer..great experience i must say..

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have had mine replaced once and about to have it done again - it is ordered but I have not been updated on if it has bee received yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dealer replaced the whole black section of mine including that cover...I also had stitching coming undone. Warranty issue...it did take a while to come in...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was told, from a reliable person at Lotus USA, that it is very common.
Lotus did not buy pre-shrunk leather for the airbag. So in the direct heat it shrinks and presto you can see the end result. Good to know that they have made good on it and covered it under warranty

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Anyone else have this issue? My airbag cover warped or more accurately it's perfectly straight now and does not conform w the dash upholstery.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
This has nothing to do with the leather. The two covers on the dash (access panel and airbag cover) are thick solid pieces of extremely stiff foam resin. The are indeed straight but are a bit flexible and are designed to bolt down to conform to the dashboard. It's funny that call the one above the gauges an "access panel" yet you can't remove it without removing the entire dash because the bolts are actually installed from underneath the dashboard. Makes no sense. Maybe I'm missing something. Likewise the airbag cover is bolted at three corners as well.

Anyway the fact they are lifting means one of bolts closest to the lifted corner have either come loose or have broken away from the foam, or if you were me, simply weren't installed (thanks Lotus!). And because it is not bolted down, over time heat could lift the corner.

If you're one of the lucky chaps that had their car assembled by one of the boneheads responsible for installing this part, you'll have your access panel lifted too because your bolt is missing. I've seen the access panel pop off while going over some bumpy roads in one you professional review video on YouTube.

Both of my panels were installed incorrectly with my new dashboard, and they do lift up like yours, but not as prominent. See if you can shine a flash light in to see what happened at that corner.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Curious... If the panel for the air bag is bolted down, how does it deploy? Doesn't the explosion have to break a seal of some sort so that the airbag can come out?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Mine was also sticking up from the inner/driver side corner. Dealer replaced whole dash (there were a few other cosmetic issues w/dash, too).

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Yup same here, only minor issue left. Rejuve oil has helped it release and let leather soften a bit.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I may be mistakened by suggesting all three spots beneath the airbag cover are bolted down. It could be just the rear one while the smaller holes in the leading edge are actually pressure clips...I do know for a fact the access panel uses two bolts on the rear holes while the leading edge is held down by round hutch cover.

Nevertheless, the covers are foam. The explosive pressure of the airbag deployment is more than enough to blow them off and out of the way.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Still tricky AFTER replacement. Lotus changed my whole board; its better now. But... the more sun heating, the more deformation comes again. It is better than the first parts, but it remains an optical problem. A.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Any indication wether or not this issue has been resolved with the MY 2012 interior improvements? It may be too soon to tell, but what are people's thoughts?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Curious... If the panel for the air bag is bolted down, how does it deploy? Doesn't the explosion have to break a seal of some sort so that the airbag can come out?
I was told they are break away bolts which is one reason under intense cabin heat the bolts loosen up or break when the panel warps. Since the driver side has no air-bag in the dash I am not sure why it happens on that side. I try to keep a towel on the dash/sun shade when parked.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts