The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did people do when replacing the air bag wheel with a non air bag wheel regarding the air bag light on the dash.

A small resistor of what value across what wires? Done with the battery disconnected of course.

Neil.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
2.2 Ohms seems to be the correct value http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/anyone-replace-stock-seat-belts-11400/
I recently had my drivers airbag replaced, and I was surprised that the tech just pulled it without disconnecting the battery.
Michael
What did people do when replacing the air bag wheel with a non air bag wheel regarding the air bag light on the dash.

A small resistor of what value across what wires? Done with the battery disconnected of course.

Neil.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
where do you plug the 2.2 Ohms resistor in if you have both airbags, seat pretensioners and the SRS modul removed ?

I suppose a dealer has to delete the error code to kill the airbag light?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My guess is that the magic 2.2 ohm resistor tricks the SRS module. You may have to do the warning light delete.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've heard that the resistors need to be installed as soon as the bags & pretensioners are removed, before restarting the car. That would prevent the light coming on. Once it comes on, it takes a dealer to reset it. I'd imagine that might not be easy to get them to do.
The placement of the resistor on the pretensioners seems obvious enough, as does the passenger airbag.
I've seen mention of directly, physically disabling the light on the console, but never any real description of doing it.
Good luck with this, please keep us informed.......and take pictures!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interested here as well, please do keep us posted.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I disconnected the battery then plugged the two ends of the 2.2ohm resistor into the plug from the column that goes into the airbag on the steering wheel. Easy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
FWIW, I found this works on the seat belt pretensioners, too. I found 5 ohms (2 x 10 in parallel) was too high, but 3.3 ohms (3 x 10 in parallel) worked. So it seems the range is ~2.2-3.3 ohms.

Also, I can confirm that you do not need a dealer to reset the airbag light once it is illuminated as a result of pretensioners being disconnected (sounds different for airbags, see Michael's comment below). It was on for a while driving around for me, then with a resistor in place it was extinguished.

·
Registered
803 Posts
make sure you install the 2.2 ohm before connecting the battery

I replaced the steering wheel on both my Elise and Exige with the 111R steering wheel:

Lotus Elise Modification, 111R Steering Wheel Installation

However there are problems if you turn on the car before installing the 2.2 ohm resistor across the airbags. I removed the passenger airbag as well to make room for the stereo amplifier and replaced the airbag connection with a similar resistor. The airbag light does not light with this setup.

Michael

·
Registered
739 Posts
I plugged in a 2.2k OHM 1/2 watt resistor from RadioShack, and it didn't do the trick. They had 1/4, 1/2, and 1 watt resistors. Did I use the wrong one? Does anyone have a link to the lotus specific Works Bell airbag disable module link? Thank you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Try 2.2 + 1/2 ohm, that did the trick for me.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Try a 2.2 ohm (not 2.2k), or three 10 ohm resistors in parallel. See my comment #11 above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts