The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2007 Elise R. The air bag light randomly came on. My thoughts were it was likely the seatbelt wiring connectors but after taking the Elise to the dealer it came up with the following code:

SRS 0033 - Fault in front airbag passenger : resistance too high - Status : Active

Any pointers my it'll be too high?

My intensions from the outset were to remove the airbag anyway. As I do the occasional track day / would like a child seat in from time to time.

I see I require a 2.2 ohm resistor. I have the complete dash removed along with the pass airbag now. Do I simply solder in the resistor into the thick yellow wire and leave the connector unconnected? A picture would help so much. Along with a link with the exact resistor I need? Talk about spoon feeding...

Thanks in advance! :shift:

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
The value is not really as important as the size ( watt ). 2.2 or 2.0 ohms are fine. I forget the size off hand but I think it's 1 watt. Once you connect the resister the light will go off. The resisters are dirt cheep and you will not hurt anything if its the wrong size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that.

I take it there are just 2 wires from the thick yellow cable? I just need to create a circuit buy connecting these two wires up with the resistor?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Your correct the resistor is a replacement for the airbag. the air bag is like a resistor and can be checked with an ohm meter. If the air bag is out, connecting a resistor to the wires you mentioned would be the same thing electronically, no circuit needed for removal of airbag, only a switch requires a circuit.

to the ECU
airbag == resistor (2-2.2 ohms )
resistor (2-2.2 ohms ) == airbag
samey samey.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Based on the description yes it will do the job.

Thank you. I'll be removing the airbag. So I still need a resistor right?
Need? no... Desire possibly? Using a resistor will stop the ECU from complaining is all. So if you wish for that light to stay off the yes you should put a resistor in there. Though, its possible in some states they will ding you for a missing airbag... So maybe there is a "need" to cheat the system :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts