The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question for later model cars with airbags. If a V8 airbag light turns on and if the fault has been corrected does the light turn off by itself or do you need a ODBII reader/tool to reset and turn off the airbag light?

If one does not have a ODBII tool can the battery be unplugged to reset the light?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,094 Posts
If you Google "airbag light reset" there are procedures for resetting the indicator without any special diagnostic tools. Don't know if these procedures will work on the Lotus or not...while I've helped install several Raid airbag wheels, we never had an SRS light stay on unexpectedly.

(Often, generic OBDII readers do not read or reset the SRS system, only the more expensive types.)

Here's the page on Ask.com that explains procedures for several models of cars...

How Do I Turn Off Airbag Light After Disconnect And Reconnect - Ask.com YouTube Search

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like when a fault is corrected the light will go off by itself. I had a person not fully seat the squib connector and it is loose so the light came on. Just need to know if the light goes out when the fault is corrected or does it stays on after the light has been triggered and needs a manual turn off. Just wanted to know if there were any quirks with the Lotus like it need a special tool or something

Thanks

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
For the majority of errors the light goes out once corrected. The code will remain in memory and can't be removed without a Tech 1. All of the plugs in the SIR harness have locking tabs and plastic pins so you can't pull the plugs apart easily.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
Cal, I fixed it this morning. I was too gentle when pushing in the connector into the Airbag. All is good.

I also recommend a special tool for anyone doing work under the dash. I'm not too flexible anymore, but I am very good at doing things in reverse while looking in a mirror. This was the mirror I used. It takes a real man to use his daughters pink make-up mirror and post a picture of it.;)

Attachments

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good that you had an easy fix. I knew with the early cars the light would go out once the fault was corrected. I've had some difficulty resetting and turning off lights in some non Lotus late model cars. So I'm glad it was an easy fix. Oh funny with the mirror I have used the wife's make up mirror too. I am fond of regular mirror on one side and the magnifying on the flip side. She got mad once, when she spotted grease on the mirror. I must be more careful to clean it off of all evidence of automotive use.

BTW the wheel looks great in your car like it truly belongs there.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I believe you when you say you were gentle after seeing that mirror.. Please just tell us you didn't have the matching outfit on when used it...

rotfl

EDIT...

Is the tool kit being used? <sorry, couldnt resist!>

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,094 Posts
I believe you when you say you were gentle after seeing that mirror.. Please just tell us you didn't have the matching outfit on when used it...

rotfl
:D I'm ready for Doc's follow-up Topic, "What's that Rattle"

:rolleyes:

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts

rotfl

EDIT...

Is the tool kit being used? <sorry, couldnt resist!>

Yes, I do have that exact tool kit. It shares closet space with this. :D

Attachments

·
Registered Insane
290 Posts
:D I'm ready for Doc's follow-up Topic, "What's that Rattle"

:rolleyes:
Actually, I do have a question about a strange rattle/knock coming from somewhere in the cabin. I'll start a new thread on that one. LOL. rotfl

·
Registered
175 Posts
You know, now that I look at it,
If you remove the mirror, the rest of that would make a unique gear shift trim ring. :)

Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts