The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first thing I had to do is send in the NHTSA airbag on-off switch application.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/brochure/Req_Form.html

Send it by fax for faster service and include a phone number on you cover page. They called me the next day to say I had the VIN wrong. I had it right, but their database was not updated. I eventually convinced the guy to send me the waiver.

A few days later the waiver came via mail. So I had to pick a company to do it. aoelectrical.com and airbagonoff.com seem to be the two major nationwide installers based on web searches and their ads that came with the waiver. I went with airbagonoff because they are headquartered closer to me and they had lots of sportscar install pictures on their site.

Here is a list of installers.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/switch_install/

Bob Brown from airbagonoff.com is a traveling installer and their company will install nationwide. Bob worked on the car for two hours last Fri at my office parking lot but he couldn't find the air controller. His schedule put him back in my area the following Tuesday. By then I was able to give him shop drawings of how the dash came apart and a wiring diagram. (Thanks to Ramsey at Princeton Lotus) To make a long story short, the front of the dash has to come out so that the top of the dash can come out. The airbag controller is somewhere near the front passenger speaker.

You have to give the waiver from NHTSA to the installer because they fill it out and mail it back to NHTSA.

Bob Said the packaging makes the install a little harder than most. He charged me about $400 bucks but he said he would need to charge others a little more. He spent over 5 hrs on my car but now that he has done it once I'd say it is a 3hr job.

For you engineer types, you'll be impressed that the installer was a real engineer and had his PE.

Overall I recommend them.
Sensible Solutions, LLC
airbagonoff.com
877-773-7908

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Wow.. that's what you call doing it right -- paperwork and all.

Thanks for the writeup! I was wondering what all it would take to have a legit switch approved and installed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Cool to know that it can be done.

BTW, I'm a little concerned about the switch location. Those sharp edges could really tear some legs up in an accident. How is it mounted to the vehicle? Can it be moved to a better location?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ground Loop said:
Wow.. that's what you call doing it right -- paperwork and all.

Thanks for the writeup! I was wondering what all it would take to have a legit switch approved and installed.
After 9 yrs of marriage it gets harder and harder to cut corners.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Genjuro said:

BTW, I'm a little concerned about the switch location. Those sharp edges could really tear some legs up in an accident. How is it mounted to the vehicle? Can it be moved to a better location?

Thoughts?
The minimalist inside me chose that position because you can't see it unless you look for it.

I think the passenger side cubby is just as good and would have factory look to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Genjuro said:

Thoughts?
It is mounted with really strong double sided tape. You can never be sure, but I don't think it would be an issue in an accident.

my second choice for location would be something like this but on the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ex-M3 said:
Thanks for the research and details on getting it done. Does this shut off both airbags?
It only shuts off the passenger airbag. The only requirement for a passenger switch is having the need to carry children in the car.

The requirement for the driver side is much harder to meet. You basically have to be the size of a child or you won't get approved.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks, I saw the specifics about passenger only and driver side deactivation after I read the forms. I have a 9 and 12 year old and will consider this.

p.s. - how is that V1 mount location working? Is the actual mount the Radio Shack one?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ex-M3 said:
Thanks, I saw the specifics about passenger only and driver side deactivation after I read the forms. I have a 9 and 12 year old and will consider this.

p.s. - how is that V1 mount location working? Is the actual mount the Radio Shack one?
If your kids are over 100 lbs I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That is not my V1, I just found the pics in another thread.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the info TripleBlack! I'll need to get one of these when my car arrives.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I think it's a body size thing and not a simple age thing if you really want to get precise about safety matters. For example, the shoulder belt can't cross a person's neck area. If a young person or small adult is seated in the seat and not leaning forward during an accident, and the belts are crossing their body in the right places the airbag should be as safe as they ever are.

I think the usual rule of thumb is 12 years old. But girls grow at a different rate than boys, and some kids shoot up in size before others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relieved

I was beginning to think I had to buy a Boxster... Thanks for the excellent information. My 3 year-old boy will be ever so grateful!

Ben

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Pardon my ignorace but would pulling the fuse for the air bag take care of it?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
So, if i remove the fuse the air bag will deloy?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts