The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since tire pressures are quite sensitive to our cars, (actually to all cars) i figured i should invest in some sort of tire pump to keep at home or in my car, to keep my cars tires at proper PSI's
just want to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what portable tire / air compressor pump you guys use at home and/or while at a track or autoX event

any suggestion would be great...links/pics/prices etc.

THANK YOU:bow:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use this...

More info at POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems - but basically a 10 lb CO2 tank - works far better than air tanks, and can even run air tools. It lasts me 6-9 months w/ occaissional air tool use, then I fill it up at the nearest fire extinguisher supply place.

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I use this...

More info at POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems - but basically a 10 lb CO2 tank - works far better than air tanks, and can even run air tools. It lasts me 6-9 months w/ occaissional air tool use, then I fill it up at the nearest fire extinguisher supply place.

Cheers,
-Darryl
I love a good CO2 setup. I used to keep one in my jeep and bring it to track days. medical supply places can fill them for you as well.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally use this Sears/Craftsman portable compressor
Craftsman 12 volt Air Compressor/Inflator - Model 75113 at Sears.com

It works, but it inflates kinda slow when it reaches +30PSI, but what you expect from a compressor that weighs only 2.5 lbs.

If you're the impatient type and don't mind something a lil bigger/heavier, you can look at these other ones
Sears.com
i looked at a few of them, the lighter the better, its mainly going to be for the lotus and sometimes the prius, ill use a big compressor for the truck and larger cars LOL

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I can't find it online, but I bought the cheapest, smallest emergency automotive compressor that Walmart had. Been using it for a year and a half now without incident. Do NOT trust the built in pressure gauge though. Inflate some, check with a real gauge, inflate some more, etc.

xtn

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That is the exact same one I use. It also allows you to remove the the "digital tire gauge" apart from the air compressor. If you just want to measure tire pressure alone.

So in a way, it saves a few more ounces by not having to have another tire pressure gauge laying around. The gauge works while pumping as well, but you know how it is right? Usually it is off by 1 or 2 psi because of the air left inside the tube.

I love it. It's light, it works, and when it's onsale (need to look hard), it'll be $16.99.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
since tire pressures are quite sensitive to our cars, (actually to all cars) i figured i should invest in some sort of tire pump to keep at home or in my car, to keep my cars tires at proper PSI's
just want to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what portable tire / air compressor pump you guys use at home and/or while at a track or autoX event

any suggestion would be great...links/pics/prices etc.

THANK YOU:bow:
It's for the "at home" use only! :D
Craftsman 1 hp Air Compressor, 4 gal. - Model 16638 at Sears.com

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've gone through so many 12v compressors.

Now I use muscle powered only. My stand up bike pump is really fast. I also have a 5oz or so portable for the motorcycle / car.

·
Registered
974 Posts

Now I use muscle powered only. My stand up bike pump is really fast. I also have a 5oz or so portable for the motorcycle / car.
I've had a few 12v compressors and they were all very slow.

I did the bike pump thing for a while. What a workout! I didn't mind but I think my neighbors thought I was a freak!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts

I use a bike pump as well.
Fits in my toolbox for the track, is reliable and easy to use.
Plus I get a little workout for free...:clap:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I use a standard floor-standing bicycle pump. I use an inexpensive ($15) digital pressure gauge to check pressure. The pump fits nicely in the boot when I travel. It's also very handy to keep my bicycle tires properly inflated ;)

You can find nice bicycle pumps for around $60 or less (some have built in gauges and pressure release for fine pressure adjustments).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If lazy ass Flux hires people to work cones for him during auto-x's, i'm sure he won't be hand pumping his tires rotfl

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
FluXeXigeS, I have the Craftsman Model 75113 and it is REALLY slow, VERY noisy, and hard to seat the nozzle onto the air valve. It is light and portable, but I'm already looking for something else that is as light and portable yet inflates faster with less racket.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts