The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any one here live in a hot country?
Mine is in Thailand. And it's so hot here. 35-37 Celsius Degree here.
And I've got a major problem with the air-con.
Most of my friend said that, Elise Air-con is not design for a hot country from the first place. And I have no way out except adapt it to use japanese-car-air-compressor.

Do you guys have any advice for me?

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,374 Posts
Stealing from TheViper:
1) Insulate the cockpit from Solar (3M Crystalline Tint) & Convected (insulate sills) heat.
2) Replace evaporator thermostat with an upgraded electronic version to prevent freeze up.
3) Increase airflow into cockpit by removing both driver & passenger side footwell intake panels & blocking 2 outside air intakes in nose.

You will find reviews and help here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/poll-does-your-ac-work-well-12860/

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...that's about the same climate as texas during the summre, and while my own experiences have been similar to yours, most owners insist that my HVAC system is merely not tuned well, and that the adjustments eric describes above can significantly improve performance...

...yesterday i simply had my faulty recirculation switch module replaced and my refrigerant recharged, and the difference is already quite dramatic even without those extra modifications...this afternoon felt so refreshing it was almost like driving a new car - i need no longer arrive everywhere breathlessly dripping wet with sweat!..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've driven the Elise home from work in 41+ degree Celsius weather, and I would say that I've appreciated the A/C versus not having anything at all... but I imagine it brings the temperature down about 10 degrees (C) from ambient, not much more. Still cooler than a cockpit on the same day...

·
Registered
891 Posts
on Summer from 35 to 40 degrees.

GREECE

On Yoda powered Elise/Exige no major problems with AIRCON . Works Great
But when was before with Rover powered Elises AIRCON was like does not exist ... :(

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Move to Greenland

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
again and again, cover off the intake ducts under the grille and use recirculation air.
it can be taped over in a jiffy. if you don't see an improvement, it untapes in a jiffy.
try it, you may like it.
i did, it made a great improvement.
sam

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sure if this is something Lotus has improved in recent MY cars, but I test-drove an '08 Elise SC last week when it was about 95 degrees outside here in Northern California and the AC seemed to keep the car comfortably cool.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will have to admit that the air on my 05 Elise is not "the best" however it does keep you from dying on 95+ degree days. If I wanted really really good air on the car I would have bought a Vette. rotfl

·
Registered
7 Posts
No probs here in Kuala Lumpur. Average temp outside is around 30-34C. The thermostat for the A/C is normally set at 80-90% (100% when super hot and humid outside) and the fan blower is normally set to 1-2. 3rd setting only when getting into the car after being parked under an open parking lot under the sun.
The thermo insulated lining for the softtop (touring) does help tremendously as it takes the heat out from coming thru the top.
Running temperature of the car in 'normal' use goes about 93-95C and during hard runs goes up to 100C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts