The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need to replace my freon/refrigerant(the liguid within) in the air-condition unit. Does anyone have any idea how i an do that ?

I saw that there is a valve in front under the wheel right arch. other than that i read in the manual that we need to add 0.7kg of refrigerant.

my question is how can i be sure that there is none of the old refrigerant in the unit so that i can measure up to 0.7kg the new refrigerant.:shrug:

thx :shift:

·
Registered
780 Posts
You have to vacuum the system if the unit is bone dry. Then you can "weigh" in a charge of refrigerant.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT IS THE FITTING TO FILL THE REFRIGERANT!

Please be careful ... most cars have fittings on the high side and the low pressure side.You need to fill on the low side .

If you guess, you could undercharge and cause the evap to freeze. If you over charge you can cause major damage to your compressor.

I am not an auto A/C expert but I am experienced in Refrigeration systems.

What are your symptoms??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are no symptoms. I just had to remove the lines for a project and hence the air-con unit is now empty. i had close the valve and now reopen it after 2 weeks and it still come out some vapor.

So I need to know how to do it by myself cause i don't trust the shops here in Greece. Also I have a friend who bought the R134a refrigerant and we need to install it in the car. he is into refrigerators and air conditions systems as well, but he hasn't done a car yet. does anyone know the procedure ?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, just put a vacuum pump on the system to remove any air and moisture in the system. BTW you have to remove 134a completely anyway before introducing new. When you charge the system make sure you are using the low side fitting. Measure out the charge of new refrigerant and you are done. Your friend will need special fittings for this car I'm pretty sure.

Good Luck

·
Inactive
831 Posts
At the mimum you will need r134a without additives, PAG46 oil, a vacuum pump and manifold.

1. Inspect o rings for all lines that you have removed. Replace any which look damaged. There are part numbers for the o rings in the manual.

2. If the system has been open, replace the dryer. I found a chrysler item with the same fittings which was the same size as the Lotus part.

3. Replace any oil lost when removing lines. Lotus uses a low viscosity PAG oil.

4. Use an vacuum pump to evacuate the system. Leave it and check that it is not leaking after several hours.

5. Refill with r134a. You will need some cans of r134a without any added oil, leak stop or dye. From empty it uses 550g / 19.5 oz of r134. The easiest way to do this is to have the can set up on a gram scale when you are adding it to the system.

You add the r134 to the low pressure side with the engine running. The low pressure side of the ac has the larger connector. Until the system reaches pressure the trinary valve does not let the compressor engage so I jumpered it on at first.

Keep an eye on the pressures when adding. From memory the low side pressure should be about 35 psi and the high side 150 psi (check these pressures before proceeding). If you are not pumping the r134 into the system, and replying on the can pressure, then some pans of hot water will help the r134 from the can transfer to the vehicle.

THe US manual specifies 0.55 kg of r134. Does the euro manual specify 0.70 kg? I found my system worked better slightly undercharged.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The vapor you saw on reopening the valve would be residual pressure from refrigerant outgassing from the oil. This would be minimal and not an issue after you pull a vacuum.
The drier should be a pretty universal part judging by pictures posted by sellers of used parts for our cars.
On U.S. spec cars the fittings I have seen are in the engine compartment to the right of the compressor and can be seen through the louver on that side. They can be reached from the engine lid opening and it would be best to use at least 6' hoses. The low side port (where you add refrigerant if the compressor is running) is on the larger diameter line, but is actually the smaller fitting of the two.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if there is anything the guys in lotustalk don't know about !!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::bow::bow::bow::bow::nanner::nanner::coolnana::coolnana:

Thx guys for your help. I will let my friend know about the items we will need and let you know how it went !! very helpfull thread :cool::panic:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts