The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the 2nd time in a month the A/C stopped blowing cold air. 1st time it was 90 degrees and after a quick lunch I started the car to only get warm air with the A/C on. I also noticed the temp gauge was 1 line above the half-way point. So after the car sat in the garage the next day it stated working.
Yesterday after a short stop at a store I started the car and all that came out was warm air. After sitting in the garage overnight same problem no cold air. So I hard-revved the motor then instantly noticed cold air coming out of the vents. I wonder if something could be loose in the engine compartment? My thoughts or coincidence: The torque of the motor moving under a hard-rev caused the A/C to resolve itself. Could it be a loose wire or faulty switch or connections? Could the AC switch be faulty? It’s like the signal from the A/C button doesn’t consistently send a signal to the condenser to kick on so the end result is inconsistent cooling. Very strange any thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same long time ago. It was the condenser which was damaged by split stones coming throu the front fence. The mechanics checked the pressure in the AC system and there was no cooling gas left. So they refilled (backside of right fronttire) and after one week I was again at the same point. So they changed the condenser and put a smaller front fence in (Lotus Seven), so that stones can not enter into the car and damage the condenser again. Since then: all ok. Also the cooling of the car from the front side is ok althou the smaller air entry due to more knitting effect.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Riddle me this...my A/C only blows cold air when the recirc button is on. Fan works fine. A/C worked normally last summer, car was in storage all winter, and now this. Not a hint of cold air with recirc off. Is the air intake blocked somewhere? Or just minimal freon (or whatever they use now) left in the system? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing happened to me on my MY11. The AC seemed to get worse last fall but we don't use it much here in the NorthEast. Last week I tried the AC and I got alot of hot air so today the tech put on his Xray glasses and the condenser is full of pinholes showing freon leaks. The Lotus rep was in and he took one look and replaced it under warranty no questions. Seems that there were a bunch of bad condensers at the factory but they didn't know which cars had them. Apparently the only way to know is if your AC fails so check it today before summer hits and lotus runs out of condensers. FYI :TD:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The same thing happened to me on my MY11. The AC seemed to get worse last fall but we don't use it much here in the NorthEast. Last week I tried the AC and I got alot of hot air so today the tech put on his Xray glasses and the condenser is full of pinholes showing freon leaks. The Lotus rep was in and he took one look and replaced it under warranty no questions. Seems that there were a bunch of bad condensers at the factory but they didn't know which cars had them. Apparently the only way to know is if your AC fails so check it today before summer hits and lotus runs out of condensers. FYI :TD:
Do they have to pull the car apart? How do you get to the condenser?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts