The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air conditioner stopped working last week. It was working fine as I drove to and from a car show, came home, parked the car and went back out an hour later and the little electrical warning "wrench icon" came on and the air no longer worked. Checked the 7.5 amp air conditioning fuse and it was fine. Has anybody encountered the same problem and if so, what did you find as a problem? Not only is the electrical warning light coming on for 30 seconds every time I start the car, but my gas gauge also stopped working for awhile but has since started working again.

I'm taking the car to the dealer next week (200 mile trip) for another clutch master cylinder to be replaced and now the air conditioner and electrical problems as well. I'm thankful I'm still under warranty but with only 12k miles on the car this is really upsetting and causing me to consider selling the car before the warranty runs out, or buying an extended warranty. I love the car but going on my third clutch mc and now the air and electrical problems, my Evora doesn't have a very good track record for Lotus. I don't race or track the car and most of the time baby it, are there any of you that have had similar problem with only 12k miles on your car? Is there anything else to check besides the 7.5 fuse for the air conditioning? Thanks! :frown2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
My air conditioner stopped working last week. It was working fine as I drove to and from a car show, came home, parked the car and went back out an hour later and the little electrical warning "wrench icon" came on and the air no longer worked. Checked the 7.5 amp air conditioning fuse and it was fine. Has anybody encountered the same problem and if so, what did you find as a problem? Not only is the electrical warning light coming on for 30 seconds every time I start the car, but my gas gauge also stopped working for awhile but has since started working again.

I'm taking the car to the dealer next week (200 mile trip) for another clutch master cylinder to be replaced and now the air conditioner and electrical problems as well. I'm thankful I'm still under warranty but with only 12k miles on the car this is really upsetting and causing me to consider selling the car before the warranty runs out, or buying an extended warranty. I love the car but going on my third clutch mc and now the air and electrical problems, my Evora doesn't have a very good track record for Lotus. I don't race or track the car and most of the time baby it, are there any of you that have had similar problem with only 12k miles on your car? Is there anything else to check besides the 7.5 fuse for the air conditioning? Thanks! :frown2:
Here is my story that may help. I have had issues with it sometimes running badly from cold start up. This was easily fixed by spraying a bit of contact cleaner on the throttle connector. This is very easy to get to after lifting the engine cover and is the plug closest to the boot and the easiest to get too. This sometimes threw a code but self cleared. Like you my aircon stopped blowing cold air and after much research and checking fuses and having the gas pressure checked (all fine) I worked out that some CELs cause a sort of limp mode that even though they self clear leaves a partial problem and in this state the ECU shuts off the aircon. All I did was get the CEL again by disconnecting the throttle wiring then reconnect and after I cleared the code the aircon magically started working again. So get the guys to clear any codes when they do your clutch or do it yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is my story that may help. I have had issues with it sometimes running badly from cold start up. This was easily fixed by spraying a bit of contact cleaner on the throttle connector. This is very easy to get to after lifting the engine cover and is the plug closest to the boot and the easiest to get too. This sometimes threw a code but self cleared. Like you my aircon stopped blowing cold air and after much research and checking fuses and having the gas pressure checked (all fine) I worked out that some CELs cause a sort of limp mode that even though they self clear leaves a partial problem and in this state the ECU shuts off the aircon. All I did was get the CEL again by disconnecting the throttle wiring then reconnect and after I cleared the code the aircon magically started working again. So get the guys to clear any codes when they do your clutch or do it yourself. Good luck.
Thanks Richard! How would I clear the codes myself? I also have the airbag light on from when the battery went dead a couple of months ago in the shop, but I understand only the dealer can reset the code for that? :frown2:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ok so I may have a little worse news for you and be happy you're still under warranty.

Last fall I hear a weird pop in the engine bay but the car ran fine. A few hours later driving home the wrench light came on. Found online that it is not a serious fault but since I was passing the dealer the next day anyway had them pull the code. When I called to see if I could swing by the Lotus tech said he had an idea what it was and most likely the ac. Sure enough pulling the code confirmed it was. He asked if it was under warranty (it is) as he had replaced a few outside of warranty and it was in the region of $5000..... Due to the cooler weather the AC had been off and when he turned it on I hear the same weird pop (which was something I couldn't replicate).

I finally got it done a few months ago as the car was in storage for the winter and the AC replacement was around $4500, luckily covered under warranty. They told me that it's not that difficult to change out as there is an access hatch behind the back seat and the only real hassle is getting the belts back on, however the part is a large part of the cost ~$4000. They told me they've tried sourcing it elsewhere for cheap and can't cross reference it. There is a clutch rebuild kit as that is what is usually the fault but it is pretty expensive ~$2500 so they have been replacing the whole thing ie clutch and pump to ensure there are no further issues. If I think of it later I'll pull the invoice for the accurate pricing.

Basically if your car is going in for warranty work, it looks like your looking at an AC pump replacement too. Be happy for that warranty.

One other thing is to check the back seat when it's done. I just found a small hole in my leather from the front seat rubbing it and it looks like they missed a clip putting it back in causing it to rub, so hopefully I can get that replaced too. I'd check the seat cushion when it comes back to make sure it's seated properly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You just need a scantool and plug it into the OBD port.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You just need a scantool and plug it into the OBD port.
Wish I could find a OBDII scanner that would read airbag, etc. codes. Most will read the engine codes. I use a Bluetooth OBDLink LX (Only works with android phones).

I feel your pain with the air con. I live in the Middle East and have just had a bill for $1200 to replace the condenser. Only $265 of this was for the condenser, the rest was the labour charge.

Good news is the compressor may be much cheaper to replace. I found this on SELOC site in the UK.

Air conditioning - TechWiki

LOTUS EVORA REPLACEMENT AC COMPRESSOR DETAILS,.

Lotus Part Number A132E6349S Toyota/DENSO Part Number 8832042120 UAC Part number UAC CO 10856C

FROM A USA TOYOTA RAV 4 3.5L V6 2006-2012

The non oem one was $160 + p&p + duty, in all £240 (FROM USA EBAY JUNE 2014). The lotus unit is £1500!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any further info on this topic? I have a 2012 Evora S (US model), and my AC suddenly stopped cooling after a mountain run. The fan still blows, and the AC light comes on when the button is pressed.
BTW: to pull the AC fuse would require hands the size of a howler monkey. Seriously, I may have to take the entire rear of the interior out to get at it.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Sounds like it could just be low refrigerant, which might indicate a leak somewhere.

The fuses in the rear panel are definitely a pain to get to, but a mirror and either a small curved forceps or offset-pliers work to pull them out.

·
Orange
139 Posts
Maybe a simple fix, when my AC got down, is was a loose connecter under the AC buttons, you have to go under the aluminum plate at the gearlever.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I just had a seperate post on this after mine stopped for the second time. After working on it this time, it was out of refridgerent. I'm not sure how but it was. It's topped up now but the compressor isn't turning on. I'm getting a reset tool for the obd to reset it as it looks like it needs to be told it's full again. Hopefully I can sort it over the next few days.

That fuse location is ridiculus and it seems like the fuse is probably not the issue. Theres a bunch of good info in this.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
if it has been refilled, the compressor may be bad. I've had to change one out... not a tough job.

·
Premium Member
11,705 Posts
Is there a particular store that sells them (scanner) specifically to work with Lotus?
Why do you ask? Because Lotus sells so many, many cars in the US???

i.e. no.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you,,,,,,,this was toooo easy and it worked!!!! How does someone find a fix like this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts