The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I was hoping someone out there has good knowledge of A/C systems...

My recently bought 2005 Federal Elise had not been used for a few years, so when the A/C wasn't working, I thought a re-gas will fix it. When it was re-gassed, they also put in dye too, to see if there were leaks in the system.

When I had to take the front clam off to replace a cracked radiator :crazyeyes, I got the garage to check the condenser with a UV lamp. With the unit off the car, it was possible to confirm it’s not cracked or stone damaged. However there were signs of overall light corrosion and some of these areas showed-up with the UV lamp (mostly a few small spots, with one larger spot about 5mm square).

I got the impression from the workshop manager that if access to the condenser was easy, he’d re-fit it until the corrosion was worse, but with the car apart, he suggested now is the time to replace it. Also, with the system opened the manager explained that the drier would need to be replaced and any ‘O’ Rings that were disturbed.

I check with a UK Lotus dealer (there are no Lotus dealers in the Middle East) and they suggested that if the condenser needed replacing, the drier does not automatically need replacing too...:shrug:

So, based on the above should I go a head and order a new condenser ($$$), drier & 'O' rings ? Or just the condenser & 'O' rings? Or are the condenser UV traces too minor to worry about and could I get away with just new 'O' rings?

Thanks for your advice in advance :bow: (I know it's tricky without seeing the car). I'd like to get-on and order the parts so the car can be re-assembled, but don't fancy taking off the front clam again if I make the wrong decision.

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
i'd suggest that you replace the condensor now.
the drier(i forget just where it is) may or may not be bad now.
it's a matter of getting it done while it's open and easy to do vs. having to re-evacuate the system and refill it after finding the drier is shabby.
usually, a thorough pump-down and refilling will do the job. the drier will give up the water it has accumulated with a thorough evacuation.
my experience is not lotus related but most cars and trucks are similar in operation.
maybe someone has better thoughts on it.
sam

·
Registered
433 Posts
replace the drier

Yes, the drier collects some of the acids that develop in an ac system and debris as well. Just do it if you are doing any major repairs. That said, are you confident that you have something besides light surface corrosion on the condenser? We see this at times in our shops and have to make a judgement about what we are seeing. Obviously it would be easier to put off if it were not such a hard place to get to.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your views guys...all info. welcome :)

I'll see if I can get a second opinion on the condenser, the drier is no big deal, as it's fairly easy to access without the front clam off, and is relatively low cost...

Cheers
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts