The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse one more newbie person from this aspiring Elise owner. In browsing ads online, I came across a California car, a 2005 Elise (apparently naturally aspirated) and it shows a picture of an Air/Fuel gauge mounted under the dash. I am interested to hear what the utility of such a gauge would be and where the sensor would likely be located. (I'm also trying to figure out what damage has been done to mount it.)
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design
Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
'21 Evora GT
325 Posts
This gauge is for a "wideband" AFR sensor. Typically these are installed pre-catalytic convertor. In a turbo car, you generally want to get it fairly close - but not too close - to the turbine output. I would think it would be just post header on an Elise so it can take a reading from the collected output of all four combustion chambers. I'm sure others can chime in on that one.

The gauge allows you to monitor the air-fuel ratio - or determine whether the car is running rich (too much fuel) or lean (too much air). Lean is generally bad, rich can be a mixed bag depending on application. I use my wideband in the Miata as a gauge AND as part of the fuel correction feedback loop implemented by the standalone ECU (Haltech 1500). This is called "closed loop" fuel control. Open loop ignores the sensor altogether. The gauge allows you to monitor the AFR of your car. This can be helpful with certain add-ons that may change the target AFR.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Sensor is by the catalytic converter. Given that its a California car. There's a chance it was supercharged. And then the supercharger was removed at some point for inspection and carb compliance. Otherwise it's pretty unnecessary in a naturally aspirated car

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Sensor is by the catalytic converter. Given that its a California car. There's a chance it was supercharged. And then the supercharger was removed at some point for inspection and carb compliance. Otherwise it's pretty unnecessary in a naturally aspirated car
I love data, so I like having an AFR gauge on my car that has a very lightly modded powertrain. It can be a very good "canary". Ironically, my car was supercharged by a previous owner who removed the SC when he totaled it. So at least in my particular example, you really shouldn't assume AFR=SC. I'd only assume it is supercharged if there is evidence of it (in my case, the SC required larger injectors to be spliced in. When he removed it, he re-spliced the factory injectors in, so the splices were still present when I got it).

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Paul, I was looking at this exact car also and that A/F gauge (and evidence of other mods) turned me away from it. I have to assume it had a supercharger or turbo setup at some point.
It also seems like they are struggling to sell it. Here's the price history. Hold out long enough and maybe it'll come down to $30k ;)

Rectangle Azure Slope Font Plot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts