The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home tonight and on pops my airbag light for no reason that i know of. Any clue? Never seen it before. I did a search, and don't think it should matter, but I did take harnesses out last week. Stock belts were never uninstalled but I did unscrew them to remove the harnesses and rescrewed them in. The light did not come on until tonight.

Any and all help appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had the same issue for a couple of years. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it coming on. Had it checked couple of times when I've gone in for service (HRM) and they couldn't find anything. :shrug:

·
Registered
557 Posts
mine was on for a few months. i finally got sick of it and took the car in. i believe they said it was the "clock spring" i have no idea where or what that is.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There's a connector behind the plastic panel, below the upper seat belt mounting point - one on each side. This could have come loose. Very easy to check.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
FWIW, the clock spring is part of the steering wheel assembly - in addition to helping the wheel return to the centered position, it also can carry the electrical connections to things mounted on the wheel itself (e.g. airbag, horn buttons).

ed

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I believe I have a small front oil cooler leak anyway, I'll take it in this time for all this warranty work. Otherwise I'd be checking connectors and the like.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW. mY HORN FUSE HAS BEEN GONE FOR SOME TIME. oops caplock. Anyway, I'll replace that fuse before I take it in. thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
A few weeks after installing a harness bar, and after hitting a pothole, I had the airbag light come on. I took it in to my dealer since it needed service anyway and it turned out to be a connection in the seat-belt tensioner. I don't know the details but between me installing the harness bar and the pothole it got knocked loose. It's something to check for...

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's a connector behind the plastic panel, below the upper seat belt mounting point - one on each side. This could have come loose. Very easy to check.
Sorry to dig up this old thread but it looks similar to my symptom. A few days ago my airbag light came on for no reason and stays on. My horn works so I assume the fuse is fine. When trying to check the connector you guys mention, it does not seems as easy as what people describe. I removed the upper seat belt mounting point, no connector. Then everything below it is hidden behind the big real panel. Does it mean I have to remove my seat (at least the passenger side), the bottom seat belt mounting point on that side, the rear speakers (I removed the cover of one and cannot put it back in now :eek:) and the whole panel? Hopefully I do not have to remove the center console too.

I know I am not a good DIYer, but still that does not seem like an "easy" task. Am I missing anything here? I have disconnected battery, hopefully it will clear the code, but most people do not believe it works.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It is always worth disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see it it resets the light.
Michael
Sorry to dig up this old thread but it looks similar to my symptom. A few days ago my airbag light came on for no reason and stays on. My horn works so I assume the fuse is fine. When trying to check the connector you guys mention, it does not seems as easy as what people describe. I removed the upper seat belt mounting point, no connector. Then everything below it is hidden behind the big real panel. Does it mean I have to remove my seat (at least the passenger side), the bottom seat belt mounting point on that side, the rear speakers (I removed the cover of one and cannot put it back in now :eek:) and the whole panel? Hopefully I do not have to remove the center console too.

I know I am not a good DIYer, but still that does not seem like an "easy" task. Am I missing anything here? I have disconnected battery, hopefully it will clear the code, but most people do not believe it works.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Unfortunately, it does not. I agree it is always the easiest "fix", but does not work for this case. Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mystery solved, it is a bad clock spring, which cost me three trips to dealer.

Now I have a question, is it easy for the clock spring to go bad by itself?

When I first brought my car in, the front desk asked me if I removed the steering wheel recently, and claimed that improper installation of the wheel is the most likely reason to generate tension and break that clock spring. Later when I rethought about it, my car had an accident a couple of months before that, and the bodyshop replaced the front clamshell, steering rack and some suspension parts. I suspect that the shop removed the wheel during the process and did not put it back in correctly. But when I asked the dealer mechanic if that could be the cause, he said it is also likely for it to fail naturally. I quite doubt that statement, since my car had only 15k miles on the odometer.

So, for those who got a failed clock spring, did they wear out natually at a low mileage, or something else (mainly uninstallation/installation of the wheel) caused it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok I'm in this boat too. How do you check the spring?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You need to use the SRS reader to get the error code first, bad clock spring will get you a code 31. Dealers have it, not sure about other places.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts