The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've removed my passenger airbag (and my driver's one soon with my new wheel) which wire do I need to cut to kill the airbag light?

I've searched and searched (got the search here sucks) and I find mention of it but not which wire to cut.

-Ross

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'll be in the process of removing the air bags as well; any tips for removing the passenger side? You can alternatively put a small sticker over the airbag light - quick fix.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main "tip" is when you pull the cover off you'll break the tabs, as I understand it there is no other way. When I took mine out I had the dash off, not sure if that's required but I'm guessing it is as getting to those bolts is probably impossible with it in place. It's really not tough to get off but you do have to disassemble most of the interior to get to it (again if I remember right).

I hate tape on my dash so I took the instrument cluster apart and put the tape on the inside. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this however as getting it all back together (and the needles all correct) was a pain in the ass.

-Ross

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
You're on thin ice. Once this light goes on only Lotus can turn it off. I currently have electrical tape over mine. Hate the glow of red around it.

My understanding is that you need to place resistors after removing the bags and belt tensioners BEFORE reconnecting battery, in order to fool whatever gadget governs the light.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is that you need to place resistors after removing the bags and belt tensioners BEFORE reconnecting battery, in order to fool whatever gadget governs the light.
I think this is exactly right and there are some threads on it. Pretty sure Frank did that on his Elise, I'll get him to chime in if he remembers. I couldn't care less about the light given the way I covered it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I got two fuses with my Works Bell RapfixII quick disconnect steering wheel hub from S111 and wired them into both airbag connectors.

Alternatively, I'd disconnect the wire in the instrument panel (search LT to find out which wire it is) for the airbag / SRS indicator light, if I were to do it again.

Finally, there is a vendor / sponsor that is working on an interface that would allow ABS and airbag code reading and clearing functionality with your laptop as opposed to the factory scan-tool / dealer.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alternatively, I'd disconnect the wire in the instrument panel (search LT to find out which wire it is) for the airbag / SRS indicator light, if I were to do it again.
I know in my '06 Exige that wasn't an option as there aren't individual wires (if I remember right). There's a harness that's attached to the dash but from there it's all LEDs on the inside so no single wire to cut (hence me opening the cluster and taping from the inside).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I know in my '06 Exige that wasn't an option as there aren't individual wires (if I remember right). There's a harness that's attached to the dash but from there it's all LEDs on the inside so no single wire to cut (hence me opening the cluster and taping from the inside).
HA! Fancy drive by wire Exiges!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I'd love to hear that I'm wrong and there is a reasonably simple fix. Disconnecting the wire would be great (05), but I've not yet ventured into the cluster.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Finally, there is a vendor / sponsor that is working on an interface that would allow ABS and airbag code reading and clearing functionality with your laptop as opposed to the factory scan-tool / dealer.
who is this?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I got two fuses with my Works Bell RapfixII quick disconnect steering wheel hub from S111 and wired them into both airbag connectors.

Awesome, I have 2 from WBell as well! :up:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think I figured it out for the '05. Wiring diagram shows the BP (which I assume means Black Purple) wire as the one going to the Intrument Panel. Only problem is, there are two BP wires. I'll pull them both, seperately, to ascertain which it is, but I need to pull the electrical connector out of the plastic "molex" connecter that goes to the IP. See pic below. Do I need a special tool, or can I use a small flathead screwdriver to release the electrical connector?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
:popcorn: Need an emoticon for "On the edge of my seat"

Appreciate you going in on this one.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ok, so the 24 pin connector is split into two sections, A & B, each of which has a row of 12 pins. I'll post pics later, but you want to remove electrical connector B12, the black & purple wire.

Here is the procedure.

1) remove blue plastic piece on side B
2) insert small / jeweler's screwdriver from front of plastic connector into the outer space immediately adjacent to electrical connector B12 (the face of the connector is marked)
3) pull electrical connector out of plastic housing
4) replace blue plastic piece
5) insulate bare electrical connector
6) Enjoy the lack of the SRS warning light

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts