The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been searching for a couple of hours on the airbag on/off switch and it's surprising how little info there is out there, especially for DIY installs (why is it in the US everything is about paying someone else to do it for you, with the government legally restricting you from doing it yourself??). The only company I found where I can actually buy a switch is here:

Index

And they clearly state:

NO GOVERNMENT FORMS NEEDED
when installing an airbag On/Off switch yourself.
However, on the NHTSA website (safercar.gov) they don't mention anything about DIY installs. I know they probably don't want to encourage it (probably due to liability, economic stimulus (paying someone else to do it), and the large amount of morons out there), but there should be something in some government document that specifically states "DIY installs are/are not allowed".

I also found an article from a few years ago stating something to the effect of not needing any government permission if you do it yourself.

So.... anyone have any clarification about this? :)

Thanks!

S.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just ripped the whole thing out, now I have a glove box! rotfl
I ripped out the passenger airbag and sensor module the other day and was thinking the same. :)

I used some velcro to reattach the panel and have been thinking about crafting something to go in that space to act more like a glove box. Perhaps something like the trunk liner that Sector111 sells?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts