The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before starting this thread I have researched all existing threads about how to turn off the air bag lamp.

I have installed the 111R UK steering wheel. The tell tale light will not go out with any of the resistors. I have actually plugged the connector back into the airbag and it flashes in the same fashion as when I turned off the car, and installed the resistor from radio shack.
My thought is that the dealer need to turn it off once it has been computer has been triggered as the computer has been programmed to be smarter than just install another airbag and off you go into the wild blue yonder.

Can anyone confirm this or perhaps offer a different method for turning off the lamp?

Many Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
859 Posts
British_Marques said:
Before starting this thread I have researched all existing threads about how to turn off the air bag lamp.

I have installed the 111R UK steering wheel. The tell tale light will not go out with any of the resistors. I have actually plugged the connector back into the airbag and it flashes in the same fashion as when I turned off the car, and installed the resistor from radio shack.
My thought is that the dealer need to turn it off once it has been computer has been triggered as the computer has been programmed to be smarter than just install another airbag and off you go into the wild blue yonder.

Can anyone confirm this or perhaps offer a different method for turning off the lamp?

Many Thanks, Robert
Your thought is correct..... (reset.) sorry can't help with turning out the lamp.
Cheers, Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
How to turn off the air bag lamp / telltale

The lamp / telltale is a LED that is turned on by the air bag controller, (SRS controller), by grounding out the wire running from the instrument cluster to the controller. If you cut this wire then the LED will not be able to light. The schematics are a bit fuzzy, (see pics), but here's one place to make the cut. Add some heat shrink over the wire ends to insulate them. You might also be able to get to this wire by pulling the instrument cluster and thus not have to pull the dash. Also, remember to disconnect the battery and wait, per the service manual, before doing this mod if you haven't removed all the pyrotechnics from the car.

Another option is to pull the controller if all the pyrotechnics have been removed. Then either cut the wire as described or insert a small piece of plastic into the connector to prevent the shorting bar from connecting the LED wire to ground. The plastic sliver should be inserted into the slot adjacent to pins 6 and 7 on the connector. (I actually removed the mating connector from the controller and pulled all the teeth, errrr, pins from it and then connected it to the connector on the harness. The controller connector has the plastic "pins" built into it that disengage the shorting bars:

Hope this helps,

Dennis

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
dvaders said:
The lamp / telltale is a LED that is turned on by the air bag controller, (SRS controller), by grounding out the wire running from the instrument cluster to the controller. If you cut this wire then the LED will not be able to light.
Have you done this to an Elise? The reason that I ask, is that many air bag controllers have a "backup" buzzer that functions if the light is not operational. It may be more annoying to have a buzzer beeping periodically instead of the light shinning.

I have no idea if the Elise works this way, but I thought I'd throw this caution out there...

·
Registered
25 Posts
The case of the buzzing air bag controller, or not.

TimMullen said:
Have you done this to an Elise? The reason that I ask, is that many air bag controllers have a "backup" buzzer that functions if the light is not operational. It may be more annoying to have a buzzer beeping periodically instead of the light shinning.

I have no idea if the Elise works this way, but I thought I'd throw this caution out there...
I made my mod by breaking the shorting connection in the plug and removed the controller all together. The controller has no buzzer inside though, (I checked):

·
Registered
25 Posts
PS... for what it's worth, this is the Touring air bag controller. Perhaps the Sport version has the buzzer. ;-)

Dennis

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
dvaders said:
this is the Touring air bag controller.
What, feeling left out and want a thwacking? Okay: :thwack:

·
Registered
29 Posts
You will need to go to the dealer and have the light reset as already mentioned. 2 ohm resistors work perfectly. You can depin the airbag wires from the yellow plug under the steering wheel with a special tool to install the resistor in a way that it to be converted back to stock easily (especially for those who want to keep a stock steering wheel with airbag installed)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Rob K said:
You will need to go to the dealer and have the light reset as already mentioned. 2 ohm resistors work perfectly. You can depin the airbag wires from the yellow plug under the steering wheel with a special tool to install the resistor in a way that it to be converted back to stock easily (especially for those who want to keep a stock steering wheel with airbag installed)
Rob, one 2 ohm resistor? (other posts have mentioned 4 ohm) After removing the wheel, simply connect one end of the resistor to the remaining airbag wire and the other to ground? I'm planning to install a new wheel this weekend. :D Thanks for additional details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts