The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea if these are related, but, I ran down my battery by leaving my trunk opened overnight. The battery was low enough to not be able to start the car. I plugged in my trickle charger; left it all day, and in the evening the car started right up. I left the charger plugged in overnight and the car started right up this morning and I was off! However, for the first time since I've owned the car (Sept. 2018) I noticed that the car threw a "airbag warning light" and it's staying on!

Question: Is it possible for these two incidents (battery running down and now airbag light) are related? Or, is this simply a coincidence?

If it's simply a coincidence, does anyone have an idea about what might cause the airbag light to come on?

Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
The most frequent cause of an airbag light is either a discharged battery, or failing to wait 30 minutes prior to disconnecting the battery after shutting the Evora off (Lotus states to wait 30 minutes after shutting the car down to allow the engine sensors etc. to shut down in the correct order before disconnecting the battery).

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
100% yes. Do a search and you can find which scan tool to get to fix it too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Is it safe to assume that, in fact, the airbags are actually still functioning even though the light is on? If so, that gives me some time to deal with the issue.

Thanks, again,
Neil

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I've seen posts that indicate when the airbag light is on from an actual fault, then the airbag won't deploy. Not sure if that also applies to it being on because of a dead battery.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
From the manual...

"The airbag safety system, including the pre-tensioning seat belts, has a self-diagnostic feature which lights the red tell tale and sounds an audible alert if a fault is detected. As a circuit check, the tell tale will light for about six seconds following ignition switch on, and then go out. If the lamp remains lit, or comes on at any other time, a fault in the airbag system is indicated, which should be rectified without delay.

WARNING: If the airbag tell tale is lit, the airbags may not inflate correctly in a crash, or may inflate without warning; or the pre-tensioning seat belts may not perform correctly. The SRS should be interrogated using the Lotus TechCentre and diagnosed and rectified without delay."

I don't think any of us can confirm that they will or will not still deploy just from a low voltage.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
@neilers73 you can settle this for the group and lightly tap your car into something while the airbag light is lit and see if it still deploys ;)

(in case it isn't clear, I'm joking)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to report that, the "Foxwell NT630 Plus Airbag Reset Tool" that I purchased on Amazon, worked flawlessly to clear the airbag light!

I want to thank all who responded regarding this issue! And, a very special thanks, and kudos, to Mobius97 for his posted step-by-step procedure - shown below for future reference!
---------------------------------------------------------

Per a previous post, I purchased the Foxwell NT630 Plus Airbag reset tool from Amazon for about $150. Following the procedure below that was previously posted, I cleared the airbag light. Given that this could happen again, I felt it was well worth the cost.

Note that you cannot read the code, but you can erase the airbag code.

Step 1: plug in
Step 2: Select ABS & SRS
Step 3: Select Asian
Step 4: Select Daewoo
Step 5: Select (B)2011
Step 6: Select (EP) Epica/Tosca
Step 7: Select Body
Step 8: Select SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module)
Step 9: Erase Codes
Step 10: Yes

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
San Diego Help

Does anyone in SD have a Foxwell NT630 Plus Airbag Reset Tool I could use??

Just got home from deployment and battery was completely dead, despite the charger it was on. Got a new battery, it started right up but definitely has the airbag light on...

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
362 Posts
anybody knows whether dis baby works for my Evora400?

·
Stealthy Blackmobile
362 Posts
anybody thinks this will work for an Evora400?

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
anybody thinks this will work for an Evora400?
There were some posts in a different thread about this procedure not working on the 400s, but there may be a different device/process that does?

Try looking through this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
As agentdr8 stated, I've also read somewhere on LT that owner's of 400's had issues trying to reset the airbag light the same way as S1 owners. I also remember reading somewhere in a thread that the 400 should not trigger an airbag light from low voltage as they changed the software. So, it was alluded that an airbag light on a 400 would always be from a true fault. However, I have no idea if that is true.

With that said, on the facebook group, it was posted that you can reset the 400 airbag light in a similar way....

I have an '11 S so I cannot confirm any of this. Just passing on what I found. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
San Diego Help

Does anyone in SD have a Foxwell NT630 Plus Airbag Reset Tool I could use??

Just got home from deployment and battery was completely dead, despite the charger it was on. Got a new battery, it started right up but definitely has the airbag light on...
Did you find one in your area? If not I'll be happy to ship you mine from TX as long as you ship it right back, please let me know...

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Did you find one in your area? If not I'll be happy to ship you mine from TX as long as you ship it right back, please let me know...
I’m all set. I picked up one for myself and I have offered it to anyone local In San Diego who needs It. But you’re awesome for asking and I really appreciate the gesture!

Reactions: javistor

·
Premium Member
1974 Europa TCS, 2014 Evora N/A MT
12 Posts
bigbird, were you able to do the light reset? There may be an issue with later versions of the Foxwell NT630Plus.
-Mike-

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Yup! Worked like a charm...took 2 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts