The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year when I replaced my stock seats on my 2005 Elise with Composite Worx seats I had to clip the wires that ran to the seat belt switches. I never reconnected the wires (it ends up being kind of a PITA) and although the seat belt dash light was on for a short while afterwards, it went away, and I never bothered to reconnect the wires.

My concern is whether this could affect the proper function of the airbags. If so, I'll be sure to "fix" it. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like a problem that needs to be fixed...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not linked together, otherwise all those people wrecking cars without seatbelts on would still be crushing their faces on steering wheels, instead of hitting the airbag and then being thrown through the windshield.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,518 Posts
Each car might be different about the airbags. It might not be tied into the seatbelt, but somehow the car knows not to deploy the passenger bag if no one is sitting there. The Lotus might deploy all airbags no matter what, but could use some type of sensor to regulate the passenger bags and that could be tied into the wires in the seatbelt.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Many cars have some seat belt dependent logic on the airbag. My Nissan states it in the manual. I don't know, but I'd assume there is some zone where the airbag will fire it you're not buckled, but not fire if you are.

I don't think the Elise does this, but the Evora might.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope there is no link but I want to be absolutely sure so I'll try to keep this thread open a bit longer.

My other cars have front passenger seat sensors for instance which lock out the airbags if the passenger's weight is too low. I'm perfectly happy to have that seatbelt light "out of order" as long as it doesn't affect function. I don't need to be reminded to fasten my belts, as this is a hardwired behavior for me anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts