The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, quick questions:

1. If I unplug my battery (disconnect it) to install a new one, and I *do not* have the Cobra Alarm PIN, I'm hosed right? Once the new battery is plugged in, I have to have the PIN on hand to get things going again, yeah?

2. Once I get this new battery installed, if I use a battery cut off switch, does that too require that I have the alarm PIN on hand each time I turn the switch back on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, any help??? Maybe I should clarify, I've got an 05' Elise and I want to replace the battery. I don't have my alarm PIN code, but I'm working on getting it. If I unplug the existing battery and swap in my new one, will I able to start the car up? Possible ECU issues notwithstanding.

Someone must know and I get it that this is kinda battery related and kinda alarm related so I wasn't sure where to post it.

Thank you!! :up:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I replaced my battery in my '05 and did not have to enter my pin. I heard it's a good idea to turn your alarm off just before you disconnect your battery. Although, my battery was dead... so it doesnt seem that it made much difference in my case.

BTW I called Lotus of Austin and gave them my vin and they looked up my pin. Dave's very helpful.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You shouldn't need it just for a battery swap. Changing the battery in the alarm fob itself is another story... and can be hit or miss. I spent about 45 minutes the other day trying to resync mine after I did that, and finally got it to work. Otherwise it's PIN time in that case. But just for the car's battery, that should be sweet as!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :up::up:

It's the car battery I'm changing, I must have lucked out with the key FOB battery swap because I did that as soon as I got the car and had no issues. I was just worried that once I disconnect the (car) battery and plug in a new one, that suddenly I'd need my PIN and since I don't have it yet... hence the problem.

I'll try the Lotus dealership in Austin then, the local ones want the VIN, registration, etc. Rightfully so, but the rub is, I don't have my registration from the DMV yet (no plates, no reg, just the temp stuff the dealer threw on the windshield).

I'll give them a shot though, and thanks again!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Always have the PIN # for the alarm with you, like in your wallet so that when you may need it you then have it without panicking.! When I had my Elise I used to take the Elises's battery out each winter and store it on a battery maintainer in the warn garage. In the Spring I just placed it back in and no problems at all. Don't let the battery completely drain out of power or you will be having problems with it and it is not worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts