The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LOCKED OUT OF YOUR 2005 to 2007 LOTUS BECAUSE THE WIRELESS REMOTE STOPS WORKING, NO PROBLEM, JUST USE THIS TOUCH KEY TO UNLOCK THE DOORS AND DISARM THE ALARM / IMMOBILIZER.
As some of us have unfortunately found out, that if the car is locked with the alarm wireless remote, it can’t then be opened with the key. If the wireless remote is lost, or should fail, because of low battery, a defect, or loss of synchronization or programming, the result is being locked out of the car and the inability to disarm the alarm / immobilizer.
To address this problem, this integrated system kit will allow the capability of arming and disarming of the alarm / immobilizer, including the unlocking (not locking) of the doors, all from the outside of the car without using a operating wireless remote.
An additional benefit is that should you gain entry without disarming the alarm / immobilizer and the system goes into an alarm condition with the siren sounding and the lights flashing, there is no need to try to remember and enter the PIN to turn off the alarm, instead, simply use this new device.
The basis of the system is a small coded electronic key that attaches to your key ring and receptacle that would be mounted externally in a location that makes it almost undetectable. The installation would entail, easy mounting of the receptacle and routing of just two wires, one to the alarm module and one locally to ground.
All components, including 1 Touch Key & 1 Receptacle in a water tight enclosure, wiring, connectors (additional Touch Keys are just $39 each); you need only to supply some silicone adhesive. The kit includes OEM Cobra components that were developed to be integrated into the Cobra 8186 that is used in all 2005 to 2007 Elise and Exige models. Lotus decided not to include this valuable feature that was actually included on later versions of the Esprit.

Please see this thread in "Electrical"
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/alarm-emergency-overide-76401/

Here are the installation instructions for the Cobra Touch Key Emergency override.
Touch Key Installation Instructions

If you are willing to place a Paypal order now, I can guarantee the price at $99 inc. shipping (within the U.S.A) for the first 12 purchasers.

Cobra OEM upgrade kit includes 1-Receptacle, 1-Touch Key & wiring. (additional Touch Keys are available at $39 each)

Technical support will be provided by either e-mail, PM or phone.

New Cobra Wireless Remotes $99

New Grey key fob straps for above remotes $15

All Cobra components come with a 12 month warranty

Please PM me for payment information.

“Your Cobra source”
Michael a.k.a "SirLotus"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
cobra bypass interested

pm your paypal.thanks
andy

·
Registered
935 Posts
Is there a reason the driver side plastic screw is used to route the wire? Wouldn't it be easier to route under the passenger sill to the passenger screw? Good instructions so far but just preplanning the cable route. Might even run it into the trunk??

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I did not route under the passenger sill, which certainly is more direct, is because the sill does not go all the way to the back, there is a gap where the wire would be visible. As an alternative you could locate the receptacle in the hole above the license plate.
Michael
Is there a reason the driver side plastic screw is used to route the wire? Wouldn't it be easier to route under the passenger sill to the passenger screw? Good instructions so far but just preplanning the cable route. Might even run it into the trunk??

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
PayPal sent. Thx.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Noel,
If you have an Exige with the rectangular hole above the license plate, that is where it should be located. As I have not personally checked the Exiges with no hole, I suggest you determine the location yourself. It may be possible, if you wish to make that hole yourself. It just occurred to me that it may be possible to mount it in a hole made in a wheel liner(front or back), let me know what you think?
Michael
Michael, where you would recommend for the receptacle to be fitted on an Exige?

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks Michael, I will figure out another location when I get the product.

Make that order #10 from down under.

You have PM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 Lotus is having this problem right now. I am interested in the override. Can I install the system now and it will get my car to start or do I have to get my car "fixed" and then install it to prevent future problems? If it works immediately then I want to purchase one too.

Kyle

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This sounds like a remote problem, which is what the "Touch Key" was designed for. Fix the remote(battery or resync) or use your PIN to disarm the system. My system will not be available for a couple of weeks however, as the components are in transit directly from Cobra.
Michael
My 2005 Lotus is having this problem right now. I am interested in the override. Can I install the system now and it will get my car to start or do I have to get my car "fixed" and then install it to prevent future problems? If it works immediately then I want to purchase one too.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Funny, I reprogrammed my car years ago to get rid of the immobiliser. Major pain at track days etc. If it weren't for the door opener feature, I'd have punted on the entire PIA system. Be nice if there was a simple defeat switch to turn entire system on and off as needed. Basically, too complicated for its own good.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, you can't easily get rid of the immobilizer, only stop it from passively (automatically) arming. When you lock the doors with the remote the alarm & immobilizer are still activated. My Cobra system will turn off the alarm/immobilizer and unlock the doors if your remote is lost or does not work, this has happened to quite a few people on this board.
Cheers,
Michael
Funny, I reprogrammed my car years ago to get rid of the immobiliser. Major pain at track days etc. If it weren't for the door opener feature, I'd have punted on the entire PIA system. Be nice if there was a simple defeat switch to turn entire system on and off as needed. Basically, too complicated for its own good.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
No Serial or PIN

Mike,
I was sold an '06 Exige with only one key and remote and no serial or PIN. I did not realize the necessity of having a serial or PIN. :wallbang: What are my options? Can the dealer obtain the Serial and PIN info through the factory? The dealer I have been working with only recently started carrying Lotus, so they are not the most knowledgeable bunch.

What are my options?

-Jim

1 - 20 of 56 Posts