The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week when I get in my Elise it beeps as if the alarm went off while I was away and the redline light blinks until I restart the car. I've never had this happen before on an ongoing basis. The light is facing down in the - turn on when doors are open only position. I'm also concerned that my sensors aren't working as I left my dogs in the car with the doors locked and the alarm didn't go off. It used to though. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If the security light is flashing, that indicates an alarm occurred. How many time was it flashing?
Is the interior light working?
Can you arm the alarm without it beeping a warning (this indicates a sensor is in the incorrect position.
If the interior Microwave did not pick up your dog, maybe it is defective or you accidentally bypasses it by pressing the "B" button twice after arming.
Try bypassing the Microwave as I stated and see what happens.
Michael

Over the past week when I get in my Elise it beeps as if the alarm went off while I was away and the redline light blinks until I restart the car. I've never had this happen before on an ongoing basis. The light is facing down in the - turn on when doors are open only position. I'm also concerned that my sensors aren't working as I left my dogs in the car with the doors locked and the alarm didn't go off. It used to though. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to trouble shoot this problem.

Thanks.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I just drove my car 3 times. The first 2 times it didn't beep or flash. The 3rd time I parked out front of an ATM for less than 5 minutes. When I got back in my car, it beeped and flashed at me. I was within earshot of the car the whole time and the alarm didn't go off. My interior light seems to be functioning correctly.

I'm not sure how to do the other stuff you mean. I'm not very alarm savvy. I've got to get a brake job ASAP, so perhaps I can have them tinker with my alarm if I haven't sorted it out by then.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If the light flashes while the engine is running that usually indicates a loose battery or alternator connection.I presume the alarm was off while you were at the ATM? If so, did it just start flashing and beeping after you parked? Does your immobilizer arm automatically? Check fuse R2 in the engine bay. - left fuse block, second fuse from the front.
Michael

·
Registered
331 Posts
Something similar happened to me and ended up being a dying battery. I know, it doesn't sound like this kind of problem would result from a dying battery and it fooled me. Can't say for sure that is your problem because these Loti do wierd things for wierd reasons.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm... I just had my battery replaced a few months ago so I doubt that's the case. Guess I'll bring it up to my mechanic.

The light does flash while driving after times when it beeps when I start the car. I always lock my car the same way. I push down the big button on the key fob until I hear the doors lock. I'm assuming this is arming the car, but we all know what happens when people make assumptions... :) so I could be incorrect.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah X, that's probably the best given how wierd these Loti are. You don't want to waste money on a fix that does not solve the problem. Keep us posted on the outcome for future reference.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Loose battery terminals are the easiest and first thing to check. They also happen to be a very common cause of oddities. And you don't need to be a mechanic to test this.

Pull the plastic cover off the battery.

See if you can wiggle where the wires connect to the battery. They should not move at all on the battery. If they do, get them tightened.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
See if you can wiggle where the wires connect to the battery. They should not move at all on the battery. If they do, get them tightened.
To add to this - the stock battery has connection has an "adapter" on the end of the battery cables. The adapters connect to the battery like a normal battery cable, but the cable is attached with a bolt a few inches away from the battery post end. Not only do you need to check that the adapter clamps tightly lot the battery, but make sure that the cable is bolted tightly to the adapter (that's where mine was loose). Again, it's easy to check, just see if you can wiggle the adapter clamped to the battery, and then see if you can wiggle the cable connected to the adapter.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'm bringing it in for service next week and will have them look over it then along with a few other issues I'm having with the car.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You said something about your alarm not tripping easily a month or two ago? Could be corrosion on the sensors, but yeah the dealer should be able to diagnose it quickly. As far as I can tell, something's wrong with the factory alarm on every 2005 Elise.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Personally, I had them disable my alarm completely. That bastardized sack of monkey sperm and hippo sh¡t will never have the opportunity to strand me again. The only complex portion of our car is the alarm, and it is evil.

Now that I am used to the car this way, I prefer manually locking the doors and not using the fob a foot away from the windshield anyway.

Ask them to disable it. Or one day, like love, it's gonna GETCHA!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
She already had her V1 swiped. I would offer that it makes more sense to replace the alarm with a quality unit.
That might be a valid point, but after searching the wiring diagram you'll find the crotch-rotting-AIDS-infested-cum-bubble-Alarm is wired into the lights, ignition, flashers, and more. :mad:

It seems as if there is no escape from its filthy, wretched grasp. :mad: If it were my way, I would hardwire the f*cker out of my car. :mad:

I take everything out of the car when I don't want it stolen. I drive it all over the ghetto of Phoenix and no matter where I go, I leave nothing inside it. Maybe that's a paranoid/common sense thing I was conditioned into... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I take everything out of the car when I don't want it stolen. I drive it all over the ghetto of Phoenix and no matter where I go, I leave nothing inside it. Maybe that's a paranoid/common sense thing I was conditioned into... :shrug:
If I lived in Phoenix I would take everything out of the car with a value greater than that of a CD every time I left too. I live in Canada and I can usually get away with leaving a (actually illegal here) V1 on the dash when I park the car. I've actually never come back to a beeping alarm in 2 years in Canada (save when it was malfunctioning before I fixed it). It never happened in NYC either. It used to happen all the time in Providence and Chicago. It all depends where you live. People in Chicago don't give two ****s about someone's alarm going off. In Boston everything is close quarters so people notice. There was one guy who had one that went off almost every friggin morning at about 5, I left him a note telling him that if it happened again he would get a brick through his windshield and it stopped happening for a month or so.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That might be a valid point, but after searching the wiring diagram you'll find the crotch-rotting-AIDS-infested-cum-bubble-Alarm is wired into the lights, ignition, flashers, and more. :mad:

It seems as if there is no escape from its filthy, wretched grasp. :mad: If it were my way, I would hardwire the f*cker out of my car. :mad:

My best friend was in and out of the dealer for months with her alarm malfunctioning. They had to take the car apart a few times I believe. She was also left stranded outside her car. It's been a few years now and it seems to be A OK now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts