The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some alarm problems recently. The following two issues have occurred:

1. When I unlock the door in the morning, after 16+ hours without driving, the alarm is sometimes triggered, making a soft audible noise. The alarm does not get triggered during the day when I lock and unlock the car, only the first drive in the morning. This problem started a couple weeks ago.

2. Shortly before typing this post, a loud alarm went off for no apparent reason (car was in an unlocked garage, an intruder is possible, but unlikely). The alarm did not turn off on it's own. Fortunately, I was around to disarm it.

Does anyone have ideas about what is causing these issues?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I had an issue like # 2 happen 3 times over 2 nights last week. I had a fleece jacket stuffed between the head rest and rear glass on the passenger side. I removed it and have had zero issues since then. Due to issue # 1 I don't think this is your problem though. I have had issues like #1 with other alarm systems when there is a bad ground or no ground to the alarm however.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Trunk sensor?

2. Shortly before typing this post, a loud alarm went off for no apparent reason (car was in an unlocked garage, an intruder is possible, but unlikely). The alarm did not turn off on it's own. Fortunately, I was around to disarm it.
I have had this issue before to my great embarrassment. What I found was when I closed the trunk lib by dropping it, the trunk sensor would occasionally think it was still open, but if I closed the trunk lid by setting it down and then pushing it down from just forward of the lock, the trunk sensor was more reliable.

Also, you may want to count the number of beeps your car makes when you disarm the alarm then check the owner's manual to see which sensor set off the alarm.

- Thomas;

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Also, you may want to count the number of beeps your car makes when you disarm the alarm then check the owner's manual to see which sensor set off the alarm.

- Thomas;
If, as Thomas says, the "soft audible" sound you hear in the morning is actually four soft beeps, check the alarm/red-line indicator on the dash before turning the ignition on. If it is blinking, count the number of blinks (a repeating sequence). This will tell you which sensor is faulted (assuming that is the case at all). Your owners manual has a table that cross references the number of blinks to the faulted sensor (doors, front access panels, trunk, or interior motion sensor). Also, check the alarm nemesis, the interior light and make sure it is securely in the down position.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Make sure you cabin light is turned down.... or maybe its up. This will cause the alarm to go off at random times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts