The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am not to savvy with the remote but after coming back from the track, I parked my car and locked it. The alarm goes off and I rush outside to see what happened. So I unlock my car and look around, nothing obstructing the doors, trunk lid is secure, no internal lights on, e-brake on.. Several attempts and alarm would chirp every time I locked it. Started her up, ran it for a while, turned it off and tried it again. Still alarm goes off after locking up the car with the remote. So I left my car unlocked, its fine since its in a garage. Where it's parked, is kinda cramped but I don't think there is a range sensor. Anyone knowI can fix this?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Firstly, if a sensor is not in the correct position or the interior light is set incorrectly, there would be a buzzing heard and that sensor would be shunted out of the then armed (45 sec.later) system. Even pressing the "B" panic button does not work immediately. Now, strange things can happen, so check that interior light, door, access panels and car battery voltage. Disconnecting the vehicle battery will cause an immediate alarm by switching over to the back up battery. Does it happen immediately you press the arm button or is there delay? Other than a defective alarm module, I can't think what else would cause that.
Michael

·
Registered
821 Posts
how many chirps does it give once you disarm? Think I read somewhere that will tell you which sensor caused the alarm.

You don't have anything silly hanging from your rearview mirror do you? (I'm thinking out loud on that one).

Any recent work done to the car? stereo? anything at all?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly, if a sensor is not in the correct position or the interior light is set incorrectly, there would be a buzzing heard and that sensor would be shunted out of the then armed (45 sec.later) system. Even pressing the "B" panic button does not work immediately. Now, strange things can happen, so check that interior light, door, access panels and car battery voltage. Disconnecting the vehicle battery will cause an immediate alarm by switching over to the back up battery. Does it happen immediately you press the arm button or is there delay? Other than a defective alarm module, I can't think what else would cause that.
Michael
There is a delay, I haven't driven it since this because I'm afraid to leave the car anywhere with the fear the alarm is gonna go off. I know I can lock the door with the key but I'm not sure if the Alarm will be set when I lock it manually.
It'll give that warning sound when I lock the car with the remote, like when you open the trunk without disarming the alarm first before hand, if you ignore it, it'll start blaring the alarm after 15 seconds or so. I don't have time to drive all the way to the closest Lotus dealer to have this looked at. I might be able to get by with just manually locking the car with the key if the alarm doesn't arm, but I do prefer the added security and if I have a passenger, to just push a button to lock my doors. I don't even know how to check sensors and make sure they are aligned..

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The normal operation if something is not closed properly or maybe if the light is in the wrong position is for a continuous buzz for 45 seconds and then it will arm, ignoring the fault. After it alarms and you turn it off, without putting the key in the ignition, how many times is the alarm light on the dash flashing. The alarm is not set if you lock the car with the key.
Michael

There is a delay, I haven't driven it since this because I'm afraid to leave the car anywhere with the fear the alarm is gonna go off. I know I can lock the door with the key but I'm not sure if the Alarm will be set when I lock it manually.
It'll give that warning sound when I lock the car with the remote, like when you open the trunk without disarming the alarm first before hand, if you ignore it, it'll start blaring the alarm after 15 seconds or so. I don't have time to drive all the way to the closest Lotus dealer to have this looked at. I might be able to get by with just manually locking the car with the key if the alarm doesn't arm, but I do prefer the added security and if I have a passenger, to just push a button to lock my doors. I don't even know how to check sensors and make sure they are aligned..

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're talking about the map light between the seats right? I have it turned off, as for the doors and such, I made sure they were all properly closed. After the alarm goes off and I turn it off I don't think the light blinks at all until after a short while, maybe 5 minutes?

Nothing hanging off rear view mirror.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The light between the seats should be in the down position, where it is off with the doors closed but comes on when you open them, however this should not cause your problem...check that.
Michael
You're talking about the map light between the seats right? I have it turned off, as for the doors and such, I made sure they were all properly closed. After the alarm goes off and I turn it off I don't think the light blinks at all until after a short while, maybe 5 minutes?

Nothing hanging off rear view mirror.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
The interior light has to be set so that it comes on when the doors are opened. if you dont have it that way...that is your problem.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
It is not supposed to do it, but sometimes it does do unpredictable things.
Leaving the light turned off is supposed to exclude (bypass) the doors from the system only.
Michael
Thanks, sounds like a silly reason for the alarm to sound off but I'll try that.

·
Registered
821 Posts
RE: alarm/tach light - when you put the key in the ignition, and turn it...how many times does the light illuminate?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
RE: alarm/tach light - when you put the key in the ignition, and turn it...how many times does the light illuminate?
If you're referring to checking the alarm/tach light for the fault code, you have to check it before you turn the ignition switch on. turning the ignition on resets the code.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm gonna go stop by where she's in storage tonight and check it out. I'll report back with an answer.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
This may be the problem....the alarm module has lost communication with either the siren or the immobilizer. The simplest to check is power to the Immobilizer fuse R2 in the engine bay. I doubt it's this but is your interior light working in any position, if not check fuse F11 up front.
After that you need to check the connections at the Siren, Immobilizer & Alarm module, have you had any work done in those areas? You may even be getting 7 or 8 blinks of the dash security light.
Michael

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem has been fixed.. the interior light switch has to be flipped down. Lights when doors open, turns off with door closed or it will trigger the alarm upon locking. Fickle little car.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
That's interesting because the cars handbook as stated below does not say that would happen, and I know for a fact it does not on mine :shrug:

"Note that if the system is armed when a door or engine cover/
front access panel is not fully closed or if the interior lamp is in
the ‘off’ position, a continuous buzz will be heard as warning.
If still open after expiry of the arming period, (see below)
the alarm will be armed with that switch group (both doors, or
front/rear access lids) excluded from the circuit."

Problem has been fixed.. the interior light switch has to be flipped down. Lights when doors open, turns off with door closed or it will trigger the alarm upon locking. Fickle little car.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That's interesting because the cars handbook as stated below does not say that would happen, and I know for a fact it does not on mine :shrug:

"Note that if the system is armed when a door or engine cover/
front access panel is not fully closed or if the interior lamp is in
the ‘off’ position, a continuous buzz will be heard as warning.
If still open after expiry of the arming period, (see below)
the alarm will be armed with that switch group (both doors, or
front/rear access lids) excluded from the circuit."
The alarm was never intended to have to work that way...it is a Lotus design fault fixed in later models of the car. IIRC, the fix was just placing a diode in the door switch/interior light circuit. I think it was somewhere in the '06 or maybe as late as '07 MY when they fixed it. As far as I know, there was no service bulletin or dealer fix released. Some (but not all?) people replacing the interior light bulb with an LED also suffered the side-effect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts