The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past year since I've had my Exige, I never had any alarm issues like I used to have with my Elise.

Today was different. I flipped the battery "on" like I always do since I have a cutoff switch installed. I then opened the door and the freakin' alarm went off. I have no idea how/why it armed itself. I ran in the house and got my keyfob. I pushed the big button and it made a weird chirping noise, stopped for about 2 seconds, then started going off again. I jumped in the car and pushed the large button again and the alarm turned off. I then opened the door to get out and it went off again :wallbang: This repeated about 5 times when I was trying different things (light switch, immobilizer button, etc). Whenever I pushed the small immobilizer button it would set the alarm off without me opening any doors or playing with anything.

My neighbors were having a party so I decided not to drive the car and was going to switch the battery off so it wouldn't keep doing it. I checked to make sure it was disarmed, no lights were blinking (on keyfob or cluster), then turned the cut off switch. The alarm screamed louder than ever :thwack:

I turn the battery back on, got back in the car, hit the big button and the alarm stopped. I then hit the start button and the car fired up without any issues :shrug:

After that it's seemed fine. Do does anyone have any ideas how the alarm could arm itself simply by turning on the 12VDC power? I never use the alarm because of issues like this and just mechanically lock the doors. The immobilizer is set to not come on automatically either.

Is there a way to completely disable the system?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
In the past year since I've had my Exige, I never had any alarm issues like I used to have with my Elise.

Today was different. I flipped the battery "on" like I always do since I have a cutoff switch installed. I then opened the door and the freakin' alarm went off. I have no idea how/why it armed itself. I ran in the house and got my keyfob. I pushed the big button and it made a weird chirping noise, stopped for about 2 seconds, then started going off again. I jumped in the car and pushed the large button again and the alarm turned off. I then opened the door to get out and it went off again :wallbang: This repeated about 5 times when I was trying different things (light switch, immobilizer button, etc). Whenever I pushed the small immobilizer button it would set the alarm off without me opening any doors or playing with anything.

My neighbors were having a party so I decided not to drive the car and was going to switch the battery off so it wouldn't keep doing it. I checked to make sure it was disarmed, no lights were blinking (on keyfob or cluster), then turned the cut off switch. The alarm screamed louder than ever :thwack:

I turn the battery back on, got back in the car, hit the big button and the alarm stopped. I then hit the start button and the car fired up without any issues :shrug:

After that it's seemed fine. Do does anyone have any ideas how the alarm could arm itself simply by turning on the 12VDC power? I never use the alarm because of issues like this and just mechanically lock the doors. The immobilizer is set to not come on automatically either.

Is there a way to completely disable the system?
It appears that the alarm is detecting the power being disrupted and switching to the internal back up battery.
Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts