The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, but is everyone thinking about their security system for their Elise when they get it? Lo-Jack? Something more advanced and costly?

My girlfriend's brother had his Honda Prelude stolen less than a year ago. They found it though... .stripped clean in Tijuana. She told me he got some $50 thing that locks the clutch so you can't steal it. She also told me that they'll give you the money for your car at least one time over. We share this screen name, so I'll try and get her to post about what it is exactly, or at least get some more details if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Car comes with a cobra alarm system which includes a separate battery source if power is cut to the battery. It has an immobilizer, also has cockpit sensor so if anyone reaches in with the top off it goes off, it's loud, ask my wife!:D
Chris

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
A recovery system like LoJack doesn't keep your car from being stolen. It's your secret. You don't even get to see where it's installed. It's a "recovery" system, so when your car gets broken into and joy ridden, you (hopefully) get it back within a few days.

But do you want it back?

My friend had a Jeep Grand Cherokee stolen during his first week of ownership. It was recovered 29 days later, after running high-speed 'missions' across the Mexican border -- offroad, through brush. Puke all over in the back seat. Piss-reek in the passenger seat, desert pin stripes down the sides. Rear gate bent, frame slightly tweaked, etc.

The insurance company decided to repair it rather than total it, so that's what he drives today. Talk about that 'new car smell'...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Car comes with a cobra alarm system <...> it's loud, ask my wife!
Chris,

Does the alarm use the car's horn, or is it one of those ones that make multiple "electronic" noises and cycles through each one?

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
758 Posts
I want lojack. I might not want the car back if it gets stolen, but I do want to increase the chance that the bastard will get nicked.

The car might be destroyed, but at least I'll be able to think of the git who's being turned from a 'o' to a 'O' ..

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Chtris,
What is the little button that that is next to where the key goes in? The dealer said it was for valet mode or something?

Also, if you get stuck in the rain and have the roof in the trunk, do you ahve to shut off the emgine, take teh key out, insert the key into the trunk, take the roof out, install it, get back in the car, and restart it. Or does it have a remote trunk opener on the fob, or inside the car.

It's wierd, I didnt know the car had power door locks either

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tim,
It's a wailing siren and ear piercing. Also has alternate power source in case the battery is cut.

XXX,

The button serves two purposes. It controls how bright the dashboard light display is and also clears the trip meter.

NOTE to those who already have their cars and haven't read the manual yet. The interior light on the rear bulkhead has three positions (the whole lens pivots) Angled straight ahead light is on all the time, pointed up light is off (in this position it excludes doors opening as part of the alarm system).

Lens should ALWAYS be angled down, the light comes on when door opens.
Chris

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
LoJak is pretty outdated by todays standards. It works like a radio direction finder to locate your car within a given city or area.
A satellite locator is much better, you can locate the car(or transponder) anywhere in the world!

·
Registered
712 Posts
You could just install a cell phone behind the car stereo that automatically switched and answered with an incoming call, and you could talk to the people stealing your car. I suppose it would be even better if you could get the phone to dial 911 and use the locating system of E911 to find your car. Hmm....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts