The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are getting a snow dumping today, I was dragging a snow shovel in my garage. It seems every time I made the loud scraping sound of the shovel on the garage floor, the elise's alarm would trigger off. Is there some kind of window noise shatter or vibration trigger on the alarm? Why would it go off that easily with that "finger on chalkboard" sound near by?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Everything can vibrate to a certain frequency... maybe you just found it. The elise also has a motion sensor, were you dragging it infront of the car?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was behind the car. But the motion sensor is infrared and that doesn't sense glass. Must have just found that special resonate frequency. Lucky me, b/c it scared the hell outa me.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I thought it was microwave, but either way it shouldn't go off to something outside of the car. Sometimes I hear people having rain set it off though.

My bets on the frequency also

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There is a "recall" for alarm sensitivity regarding the rear window. When I would wash my car the alarm would go off, scaring the bejeezus out of me :eek: the first few times, when water hit the rear window. I thought it was the water getting under the rear clam. I think in the fix for the sensitivity the rear foil under the rear plastic interior piece is removed or modified. The seats are removed and the rear panel is removed to do the fix. BTW I didn't go for the fix, I just adapted to the car's "personality." Although, it would go off in a heavy rain storm here and there.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
There is a sensitivity adjustment screw on the alarm module behind the interior panel.

Mine has been set off by the "motion" of rain water running down the windscreen.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Mine is screwy. Sometimes rain sets it off (like when it's 3AM, you are naked, and not thinking about where you keys landed or where your clothes are)
Sometimes light rain, sometimes heavy, most of the time it doesn't go off. I know getting pelted with eggs doesn't set it off. Kind of irks me that doesn't but rain does.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Mine has a range of about 4 feet. By the time I found were my pants were, and turns out me keys weren't in them anyway, I had left them on my "friends" counter the alarm was about on it's third cycle. It wouldn't work from the front door so the neighbors got a free show.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts