The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"EDSON, Alta. - A 34-year-old Alberta man was handed a $12,000 speeding fine this week after police caught him roaring down the highway at 263 kilometres per hour - more than twice the posted speed limit.

On May 1, a police officer noticed the man speeding on a Honda motorcycle on a stretch of Highway 16, between Edson and Hinton, Alta., with a 110 km/h speed limit. The officer gave chase, but was unable to match his speed, said Sgt. Ron Lyons with the RCMP.

The same officer later spotted the motorcycle in Hinton, which is about 280 kilometres west of Edmonton. The Edson Traffic Court handed down the fine Aug. 27.

The driver, a Hinton resident, struck a deal with the Crown prosecutor that allowed him to keep his licence in exchange for the high fine, said Lyons.

"I've never seen a fine like that before," said Lyons. "A fine of $1,000 is usually a lot."

Earlier this summer, the Hinton Traffic Court slapped an $8,500 fine on a 25-year-old Prince George, B.C., man for driving 206 km/h on the same stretch of highway.

Lyons said he believed that man also struck a deal with the prosecutor to keep his licence.

He attributed the new trend in high fines to a fresh face at the local traffic courts.

"There's a new Crown prosecutor here who is working the high-fine angle, to make a point to the drivers that speed does cause injuries and death on highways and it's unacceptable," said Lyons.

The maximum fine for speeding in the province is $25,000, he added."

Albertan gets $12,000 fine for speeding

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
well he agreed to the high fine so he can keep his license....so eventhough the fine is outrageous he wanted it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Accidents that are caused by excessive speed usually only involve one vehicle.

And if this was a motor bike....even less likely to hurt anyone but himself.

Cellphones, food, kids, neglected vehicle maintenance, and over all bad drivers cause 99.9% of all traffic accidents. Speeding tickets are just robbery by the state

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I wonder if thats a true statement...or if those factors (distractions) become compounded while speeding.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
IMHO its not the people in sport bikes/sport cars speeding that we need to worry about (considering that they actually know how to drive the said car/bike), what we really have to worry about is people (men and women) in minivans, suvs, corollas speeding trying to do the same speeds as the sport cars when the car that they drive arent meant for that.

Accidents arent caused by sport cars/bikes speeding, they are caused by people on the road that doesnt know how to drive and those that doesnt pay attention to the road when they drive.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I wonder if thats a true statement...or if those factors (distractions) become compounded while speeding.

Everything is compounded by speeding, I wont deny that, but the fact is most of the problems are not caused by excessive speed.

I dunno about you guys, but the faster I go, the more tunnel visioned I get. NOTHING else besides the road and my surroundings matter when I am driving fast. Soccer moms rushing to get the kids to school while putting on their make up.....not so much

·
Registered
622 Posts
I had a sportbike come by me last year on that hwy. I was doing 130km/h(ish) and this guy flew by me so fast I couldn't tell you what colour the bike was. I never expected him to close the distance between us as quickly as he did. Last I saw he was at least a mile behind me and I check my mirrows religiously.

Lock him up, confiscate the bike and give him a lifetime ban on driving priviledges for being stupid. Bet he's glad I'm not the judge. I'd guess this one will go the appeal route.

·
Registered
807 Posts
$12,000 canadian? isn't that like $40 US ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a sportbike come by me last year on that hwy. I was doing 130km/h(ish) and this guy flew by me so fast I couldn't tell you what colour the bike was. I never expected him to close the distance between us as quickly as he did. Last I saw he was at least a mile behind me and I check my mirrows religiously.

Lock him up, confiscate the bike and give him a lifetime ban on driving priviledges for being stupid. Bet he's glad I'm not the judge. I'd guess this one will go the appeal route.
Leave it to a Canadian to hate freedom.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey 164 mph (263 kph) IS pretty fast but $12,000 for a fine? Jesus Hashimotot Christ! $12,000 pays for a lot of track time.
(BTW Canadians don't hate freedom we just don't have the guns in our cars to prove it.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Canadians don't hate freedom we just don't have the guns in our cars to prove it.
canadians don't hate freedom. they just want freedom in both english and french rotfl

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
One freedom you don't have. Freedom to post something with zero Lotus content in the main forum. ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
One freedom you don't have. Freedom to post something with zero Lotus content in the main forum. ;)

LOLOL
I guess thats the end of that. Time to go post something about the effects of hurricane Gustav in the main forum.
See you all there.
lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts