The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Interesting news.

I'm a manual transmission guy, too. But after having driven the McLaren (not so good) and the FR-S (very good), I am beginning to see the point of double clutch paddle shifters and AT paddle shifters.

But I'd still rather have an Evora.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
An italian car that essentially weighs less than a lotus, has more power, a six speed auto box (sluch boxes cost more than manual trannys), which starts at 45k and therefore costs a fair bit less than an elise as well (sure they were 42k starting in 2006, but not 2011)... Something, or a few things are going to have to give. The speculated 250hp+ and only a sub 5 seconds 0-60 is pretty indicative that all isn't quite right. Maybe they have a knocked down version that starts the pricepoint...

I'm certainly not opposed to the car existing as described. More power to them (no pun intended), but i'll believe it when i see it. I'm going to guess 2700 lbs. Can't say i'm really all that exited about the looks either...

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I would like to see our Elige with the new (to the US) Ford Focus ST engine. 252 HP and 270 lb/ft, the latter at 2500 RPM. Not going to happen, but I hope someone tries a conversion.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Sergio Marchionne delayed, yet again, Alfa Romeo's re-introduction into the USA another year and out right killed Lancia this week. I'd be surprised if you ever see another new Alfa on these shores.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'm having a brain fart. Aren't Alpha Romeos already sold in the U.S? I though I see commercials for them all the time.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Allan, you haven't been seeing commercials for Alfa unless:

1) you just woke up from a coma
2) haven't watched TV since 1995
3) You were in the market for an Alfa 8C (only 84 made for the US)

Alfa Romeo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm psyched about the 4C, but there probably won't be room for one in my life.
Wait. What about those commercials with the guy from 3 1/2 men driving in the house?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
That's Charlie sheen driving a fiat lol also, I just caught up and that car looks like an Elise gone wrong. Sick specs, but ill keep my Exige any day.

They probably don't come in KG, either :) (that one was for you, Jeff!)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Whoops. My bad. I confused Fiat with Alpha.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Whoops. Alfa.

·
Registered
465 Posts
They have a First Drive article in the December Car and Driver print version. Looks like the article was on the 'net a bit earlier in September here...

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Overall pretty positive. Not sure I like the instrumentation that much. Here is an interesting quote regarding curb weight...

Things you should know: Alfa trumpets a base curb weight of fewer than 2100 pounds, but U.S.-bound models will be about 2650, which factors in two side and two knee airbags, other mandated equipment, and a number of options that will likely be standard here, including air conditioning, power seats, and parking sensors. A “quiet” exhaust with a muffler will be offered. Whether the U.S. will even get the open pipes, and whether John Q. will be able to buy a 4C for anything even remotely close to the base price, are unknowns.

Also still up in the air is when, or even if, Alfa will sell U.S. customers something other than a toy.
Stu

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the interior sans the digital screen. Outside looks beautiful - minus those spider eye headlights and cheap looking exhaust tips. The original concept's headlight looks better IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
They have a First Drive article in the December Car and Driver print version. Looks like the article was on the 'net a bit earlier in September here...

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

Overall pretty positive. Not sure I like the instrumentation that much. Here is an interesting quote regarding curb weight...

Stu
Yup. I think I mentioned early on here that I generally figure 10% more weight and 20% more money on these show cars, prototypes, etc.

Maybe it was reversed, but still….

My 4 door, 5 passenger '05 XRS weighs under 2700 lbs...

·
Registered
623 Posts
As shared in the other 4C thread, Evo magazine didn't like the steering when they tested it as a contender for their car of the year.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts