The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an Alfa Romeo owner over the years I thought it was time to experience the 4C.,
My first was a 1993 164L which was my wife's car for almost 10yrs and 88000 miles with only a ZF tranny seal replacement at 60K. We absolutely loved that car. Only FWD car I ever owned that made you forget it was FWD.
Currently I am into year 3 with my Stelvio TiSport. Again, one of my all time favorite vehicles (short of my Lotus!)

Having had lots of free time lately, hmmm wonder why?, and knowing my 2011 Evora S is not exactly new anymore, I am starting to look to the future. Between big Bdays and big Anniverseries, I have excuses lined up just in case. I have had 2 Evoras and loved both of them. I would really be intrigued with an Exige V6s...400...whatever but we all know that's not going to happen so if I wanted something lighter again..4C is it. Very intrigued with the GT but nothing tugged at me as hard as those first GT430 pics...maybe the final Evora edition, hmmmm.

So I went to my dealer in my Evora for direct seat time comparison.
First I drove a 2016 Coupe, with all the race goodies. Motor sounds great, tranny is fabulous, car is sexy as hell, damn fast to 100!! Sounds awesome I liked track exhaust better than $3100 akrapovic option btw and it's lighter.
Now the negatives.
Entry into a 4C makes getting in an out of my 2005 Elise seem easy.
It may be even louder inside than my Elise.
The big disappointment was the high speed handling. Actually this coupe had to have an issue as even at 65-75mph it was darty and unstable. We checked tire pressures but they were spot on so the alignment must have had an issue. Not impressed but it did have close to 40K miles on it. Was going to call it a day, but my Maserati guy said to the young Alfa Salesperson ->go get him the new 2020 spider. Check everything first please. I usually don't like to push new vehicles out of respect for the dealership but he insisted so I accepted. Love these guys!!
This one had EVERY piece of CF, Akropovic exhaust etc possible. 86K sticker!!! It immediately felt MUCH better at cruising speeds. Handling was quite stable and nice. So I opened it up a bit and that's when I again got disappointed. It was a breezy day so having had an Elise for 9 years, I knew the 4C would move around a bit. No biggie I thought. My Elise was rock solid at 120mph, if you straight line lifted it was calm etc. Not the 4C! It is very hyper and esp under braking, the rear end DOES NOT inspire confidence! My brain quickly was thinking this ride cold definitely bite me on a track! BUMMER the eye candy almost got me!! Finished my ride. Stared at it a while as it really is damn attractive and the CF tub etc is all the more alluring to a motor head. We talked a bit and I left.
It took about 5 minutes to be clear in mind on the way home that the Evora was a vastly better engineered chassis etc. Forget my assessment of my Elise. Elise v 4C and I just had a 2005 sport package car...I'd take my Elise for track duty anyday. Being a bit older now, I'd take my Evora anyday as well. The tactile things just work better in the Lotus cars. So mine is a bit slower. I would not be real happy on track at 120+mph in the 4C in a crosswind in the esses at WGI...something I do a lot of every season.
Fast forward several days. I decided to do some research on the 4Cs and come to find out, its not just me. It seems many folks lose confidence in the car as we cross 100mph and esp 200kph. Steering gets light. Rear feels like its swaying side to side etc. Steering didn't bother me as I had an Elise.But the other stuff was adeal breaker.
If I was just going out for a back road cruise, this sexy car would be a blast...but I have long term ulterior motives for these types of vehicles.

Moral of the story is GO DRIVE ANYTHING THAT INTERESTS YOU. Eye candy can fool you!

Up next. Guess I need to drive a Guilia Quad! Loved my students in the rain last year!! Making Lotus work hard for my continued devotion.

I'd love to hear feedback fromsome of the 4C owners on this forum and feel free to bring this over to their forum. No disrespect for the 4C, I just came away underwhelmed.

Reactions: sege and lt1_fd3s

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea my Elise was ~1970 lbs yet felt more stable than the 4C. Something in suspension geometry is lacking...the strength of Lotus!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 4C is far more impressive up close in person. The other offerings are impressive in that they perform well on a back road and in just as well as on a track. Still, I can't be excited about them unless I had to choose a family car as my only car. They're just very big cars, a characteristic I don't like much at all.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stelvio looks aside....I think its the best looking sporty SUV on the market, bar none! Meanwhile I was talking about the 4C.

·
Less is Better
2,626 Posts
I'm no expert on these cars but I believe there are "blocks" offered for the car that increase caster to address the darty steering behavior. I suppose they had minimal caster to reduce steering weight at lower speeds. I also think there's a new alignment spec, but I'd have expected the 2020 car to have had this revision.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
The 4C is far more impressive up close in person. The other offerings are impressive in that they perform well on a back road and in just as well as on a track. Still, I can't be excited about them unless I had to choose a family car as my only car. They're just very big cars, a characteristic I don't like much at all.
I'm just saying that even with my low expectations for SUVs, their offerings don't do it for me, aesthetically. I'm sure they perform well but high dollar cars need to catch your eye aside from the performance specs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just saying that even with my low expectations for SUVs, their offerings don't do it for me, aesthetically. I'm sure they perform well but high dollar cars need to catch your eye aside from the performance specs.
I agree with that. Hey, the 4C was never a 70-80k car to me, no way. But at 43k with 7k miles and all the essential mods (ECU tune, caster blocks, center exit exhaust), it was definitely worth it to me. For 70-80k I'm staring at Evora 400 variants instead. Still, I'd rather wait for those to be 50-60k gently used.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
If you want a 3,000 lb car, with Evora handling, stable at speed, a Carbon Fiber tub, and plenty of power, take a drive in a McLaren 570S. Many of us Evora owners have pulled trigger. Not to discredit the Evora, I have kept it in addition to my 570S. Both are terrific and have many similarities.
See post #45 here for the comparison:

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Exactly. My wallet isn't deep enough for that service contract....I would have to shed a few toys...but I love them all at present...great place to be. Nice thing about the Evora is if I ball it up life goes on. Expense is ~25% of the McLaren concept.

4C looks are great IMHO. Just wish the steering was sorted out better. Zala, my benchmark is a crosswind in the esses at WGI. That is the #1 place I have experienced to separate stellar handling/feel from less so. Pucker tends to occur there.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its fine below 100. Above that, things aren't so nice.

·
Registered
159 Posts
4C is a great car. Alfa owners though, are a weird bunch and struggle with unbiased views.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Oops

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its fine below 100. Above that, things aren't so nice.
We aren't all saints like you CRX ricer boys hehe...Want to see pics of that CRX someday!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Alfa has never had an outstanding reputation for durability, although its latest models have proved more durable than past efforts.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Alfa has never had an outstanding reputation for durability, although its latest models have proved more durable than past efforts.
a little perspective:

Reactions: autonoob
1 - 20 of 53 Posts