The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should say: ILLEGAL ALIEN

Last Saturday before going to my sisters for a family gathering, I thought I'd give Elise a quick power wash. There was already a truck in the wash bay and a red civic next in-line. I pull in behind the civic and was waiting my turn. The truck pulls out and instead of the civic moving forward... he puts it in reverse -eek- I lay on the horn with no luck getting his attention prior to backing into Elise. I get out of the car furious, inspect the damage, walk towards the civic and his female passenger is signaling him to leave, leave now! I attempted to stand in front of the civic but he sped off. I did get the tag# and called the town popo. They were caught trying leaving town about 10min later. I met up with the suspects and popo to find out the driver nor passenger speak Enlglish and a translator is on the way. Come to find out, the guy has no ID of any kind; drivers license, green card, insurance... he claimed to not even know his date of birth... Cop said he had no choice other to contact immigration and they will take over from there. My insurance will cost me a $250 processing fee but all will be replaced OEM. As you can see in the photos, she is still driveable but needs at least a nose job:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Dude, that sucks balls. I am sorry to hear about the car needing a nose job, but at least your insurance is doing the right thing and no one was harmed. Thank goodness.

What company are you with and how have they been to deal with?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Damn Dave, that sucks! I hope everything works out okay for you. I see you still have that same "license plate bracket" you earlier also had po-po trouble with. I'm surprised they didn't throw YOU in the slammer for that, upon their appearance at the scene with you to investigate! ;)

Once you get it fixed, try instead "going nekkid". Maybe you can refer to my case adjudicated just this past October, as precedent? :shrug:

Hope all this works out okay for you. Do you know if you will be going for an all entirely-new (replacement) front clam, or will this be/is this repairable? Your scenario (seeing reverse lights come on, and someone suddenly backing towards you) is in this car - one of my worst nightmares! :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude, that sucks balls. I am sorry to hear about the car needing a nose job, but at least your insurance is doing the right thing and no one was harmed. Thank goodness.

What company are you with and how have they been to deal with?
Thanks. I've been with Nationwide since my first Elise in Sept '07. I would suggest my agent to anyone.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn Dave, that sucks! I hope everything works out okay for you. I see you still have that same "license plate bracket" you earlier also had po-po trouble with. I'm surprised they didn't throw YOU in the slammer for that, upon their appearance at the scene with you to investigate! ;)

Once you get it fixed, try instead "going nekkid". Maybe you can refer to my case adjudicated just this past October, as precedent? :shrug:

Hope all this works out okay for you. Do you know if you will be going for an all entirely-new (replacement) front clam, or will this be/is this repairable? Your scenario (seeing reverse lights come on, and someone suddenly backing towards you) is in this car - one of my worst nightmares! :crazyeyes
I was a slow motion nightmare! At least no frame damage. If the body shop totals the front clam, I may consider the wider Exige clam as a replacement??? I'm trying to find the bright side:wallbang:

·
Registered
403 Posts
ahhhh
AMERICA....THE GREATEST AND MOST SCREWED UP PLACE IN THE WORLD
i feel your pain...it happened to me too, but the @#$#%can blamed it on me and it took a 5 hour roadside investigation to finally haul him off.
its too bad that insurance is such a necessary evil.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Who owned the Civic?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Who owned the Civic?
That's a GREAT question! ...Presumably, for the car to be even titled/registered/on the road at all in the 1st place, it HAD TO BE A LEGAL RESIDENT, right? Presumably, an Illegal Alien can't title/register a car.

There really should be no reason, YOU should be out of pocket Dave, at the end of the day, on this one AT ALL. I'd continue to pursue this!

Did the driver (the "illegal") get arrested? Or what further also happened from there? They were'nt just allowed to further drive away either now, were they?

You need to determine the LEGAL owner. Then be sure "accountabilities" for EVERYTHING in this matter - are PROPERLY placed. No need for you to "take the hit" (sorry for the bad pun :rolleyes:) either literally, or figuratively I wouldn't think, for this one!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
same thing that happened to me with my dd, except driving away they jumped out of the car and ran.

My insurance covered me and they will try to get the money from the registered owner of the car.

OP, since its not your fault your premiums should not go up at all!!!!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
OP, Just saw that you live in Annapolis. Where did this happen???

my accident was in College Park....PG county cops arent the best.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It happened in my home town of Centreville on the Eastern Shore. The civic had Temporary Tags from PA and was not regisitered to the driver, as far as I know... I left the scene before the cop dealt with civic driver but he said he would book him on multiple charges and Immigration would then deal with him. I almost felt bad for the guy but then realized you just don't go around damaging personal property with out being held responsible. Karma just ran into my Dogma???

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... At least no frame damage. If the body shop totals the front clam, I may consider the wider Exige clam as a replacement??? ...
The Exige clam isn't any wider. It is slightly heavier and slightly stronger...both due to the thicker hand-laid fiberglass. The only wider part are the side door hinge access panels, which also will fit an Elise. You will also have to buy new front access panels and side access panels. I don't know the cost of the front access panels, but the side ones are $:crazyeyes.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It happened in my home town of Centreville on the Eastern Shore. The civic had Temporary Tags from PA and was not regisitered to the driver, as far as I know... I left the scene before the cop dealt with civic driver but he said he would book him on multiple charges and Immigration would then deal with him. I almost felt bad for the guy but then realized you just don't go around damaging personal property with out being held responsible. Karma just ran into my Dogma???
Ahh... I'm going to bet it probably wasn't registered then. So many states require proof of insurance to register these days (TX does but we're probably still more lax than other states).

I doubt anything would come of the ownership and was really just curious, more than anything. If you could find out where the tags came from, you might be able to lodge a complaint with that state's department that manages auto dealers or something. Pretty sure PA is one of the states that's pretty strict on insurance stuff.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.