The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
The doors on the car need a little alignment hygiene .
When you close there is a double thunk.
When I hold the drivers door and raise up and give some weight relief, it closes nice..with a nice sound.
No double thunk.
I've looked at the mechanism (but not too hArd) . Is there a way to adjust the doors. I can see the factory shims but that is not the problem here.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,309 Posts
Hi.
The doors on the car need a little alignment hygiene .
When you close there is a double thunk.
When I hold the drivers door and raise up and give some weight relief, it closes nice..with a nice sound.
No double thunk.
I've looked at the mechanism (but not too hArd) . Is there a way to adjust the doors. I can see the factory shims but that is not the problem here.

Is the Double Thunk as if something is loose inside? :confused:

If it closes acceptably with weight release, the bushings in the hinge might need attention.

THINK TWICE about adjusting the striker on the B pillar. If the hardware inside
drops off you will be removing your gas tanks...

Since the car is new to you, I'd start by lubricating the latch in the door. I lube mine every year.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The double thunk is probably 1) the latch mechanism hitting the striker in the door jam, followed by 2, the door hitting the body. The slot in the latch mechanism should be aligned with... at the same height as... the stricker, and engage it without much of a thunk.

The typical scenario is that the plastic bushings in the door hinge have worn, the door is sagging as a result, and the back of the door is low. The latch is no longer aligned with the striker, and "hits" it rather than sliding over and engaging it. The latch slot's funnel mouth lifts the door into alignment and the door still closes, but with that ka-thunk. Allowed to continue, both the latch and striker will wear to the point of needing replacement rather than repair.

Have someone lift-n-release the back of the door while you look at the hinge? If there's movement indicating slop between the pin and bore, then it's a common problem and the fix is to replace the hinge bushings. There are small adjustments that can be made to the alignment of the door, but that's not usually enough and it's only temporary as the bushings get worse.

I helped a friend replace the hinge bushings last year, and it made a world of difference. Not only did the door open and close much more easily and quietly, but the door's fit with the body looked so much better. The old saggy door suddenly had uniform shut-lines, and the panel alignment with the body was perfect.

The bushings are no longer available from Lotus, but JAE has machined replacements in stock. The fit was perfect in Rob's '88 Esprit. Replacing the bushings isn't easy, or a one-man job.

Good luck with it,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
to the PO, I am gonna jump in here

A. While I have not been an Esprit owner for long (a year or so now) I have owned many other cars with similar styles, vintage, etc.

B. Need to ease up on the posting about every little grain of sand you find, it only makes others start at some point ignoring all posts you might make

C. In caveat of (B) we all appreciate your enthusiasm so dont let that dampen it, simply research a bit more before posting

D. Take care of MUST DO stuff first, i.e. timing belt, etc. BEFORE niggling with the other stuff which in the end might create more issues than originally existed..

Just my $0.02

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to the PO, I am gonna jump in here

A. While I have not been an Esprit owner for long (a year or so now) I have owned many other cars with similar styles, vintage, etc.

B. Need to ease up on the posting about every little grain of sand you find, it only makes others start at some point ignoring all posts you might make

C. In caveat of (B) we all appreciate your enthusiasm so dont let that dampen it, simply research a bit more before posting

D. Take care of MUST DO stuff first, i.e. timing belt, etc. BEFORE niggling with the other stuff which in the end might create more issues than originally existed..

Just my $0.02
Hello and Thanks for that note.
You see I would like to do the timing belt and other Engine
work.
It's just too damn cold yet .
So instead of waiting to do the C service I will do the little things and get more
aquainted with the car.
There is no way that I can wait for constant mild weather in January. It could snow afoot next week and go down to minus 25.
Obviously my Garage is not heated.
Mike P. Esik

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DONE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts