The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through almost all of the alignment posts, and I think I have my settings figured out. I drive on the street with RE01Rs and do track and auto-x events with R888s.

Front:
Castor: Max
Toe: 0
Camber: 1.5-1.75

Rear:
Toe: 3mm IN total
Camber: 2-2.25

Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
similar to what I run.

Front:
Camber: 1.6

Rear:
Toe: 1/32" IN total
Camber: 2.3

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy with the results I assume?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you have a great starting point. Mine is about the same.

When I went to the track Friday for the first time with all my new setups (Toyas, Rotas, Ohlins, reinstalled control arms, max front caster, and rear tie rod brace), I started with 1/16 total toe IN in the rear. During the first session, the car was VERY quick to step out under trail braking or throttle off. I promptly spun. I havent spun a car on track in YEARS. It was very unpredictable.

Went back in and dropped air pressure 2 psi and installed two flats of additional toe in. MUCH better. Your 3mm toe in is probably a bit less than what I have now (I didnt measure it) and a good place to start.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool...thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I've always had a problem with understeer in my car. I was running 1/32nd total toe IN in the rear at the last track even and liked it. might try 0 next time....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah, I am not done adjusting mine. Now that I have the car mostly sorted out, I am ready for more fine tuning.

FYI, my car is still understeering (mid corner and power on) even with the steering arms machined and only one camber shim. Of course, I have more tweaking to do but I was hoping to be able to leave some of the shims in place.

There are still lots of tuning screws to turn so maybe I will find a way to put some of those shims back in.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
similar to what I run.

Front:
Camber: 1.6

Rear:
Toe: 1/32" IN total
Camber: 2.3
AJ, At Spring Mountain you said you still had understeer. Are these settings the one's you were running there or have you adjusted to these after Spring Mountain?
Randy

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm worried about excessive tire wear if I go with toe-out on the front...especially on my street tires. I'm hoping that by maxing out the castor, I'll be getting most of the benefits of front toe-out but without the wear. I'm still very new at this, though.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
AJ, At Spring Mountain you said you still had understeer. Are these settings the one's you were running there or have you adjusted to these after Spring Mountain?
Randy
I had more negative rear toe at SM. This is what I had at buttonwillow. It was much more neutral.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm worried about excessive tire wear if I go with toe-out on the front...especially on my street tires. I'm hoping that by maxing out the castor, I'll be getting most of the benefits of front toe-out but without the wear. I'm still very new at this, though.
In my experience the fronts don't have excessive wear - Sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Get it handling good first.
If it is understeering already, then I wouldn't start adding toe in to a car that is typically set up with a slight amount of toe out. (And the front toe is very slight anyhow). I think that someone mentioned that how you hold the wheel also can contribute to a feeling of instability at speed (Stability at speed is the main reason to have it toe'ed in.)

If it is understeering - then my understanding is that the sway bar might be "the" thing to adjust.

People all around the world generally end up with about the same general settings - which I would suspect that these would be the wise settings to start with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was my understanding that the combination of lots of negative camber and toe-out is what gives a lot of tire wear. Toe-out with non-machined steering arms might not be a problem, but once you get up over 1.5 deg neg camber, it might show up. Again...this is just what I've heard.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have found no need for toe-out in the front on my car with stock LSS suspension. The car turns into the corners just fine. It would understeer on corner exit while applying the power. To solve that I have been decreasing my toe-in in the rear I think I may have my happy balance with 1/32nd toe-in. I would say that I'll try zero toe in the rear next time but next time it gets back on track it'll be a whole different car and I'll start tuning the suspension all over again. Most likely with aftermarket suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts