The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for a shop to do an alignment/corner balance/ride height and annual track inspection. Best if in the North Puget Sound area (Seattle, Bellevue, Everett). I like Cantrell but can't seem to connect. Not happy with TruLine as I disagree on his philosophy of corner balance.

Anyone else? Does Fordahl have Lotus experience? Better way to connect with Cantrell?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just have a hard time contacting a human. Colin does good work, just seems hard to contact. I've traded voicemails but can never actually talk to him. Tried email but haven't heard back.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Pfanning,

I haven't used Colin, but I have talked to him everytime I've called.:shrug:

I have a bunch of friends with cars like ours that simply swear by him. Sleepless takes his there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
can Colin Cantrell work on MR2 Spyder w/2zz in it. or he specifically does Lotus and Porsche only

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was there today. He can certainly work on what ever you have. He is a nice guy. There are just three of them and no one "mans" the office. I had the best luck emailing him and setting up a time to bring my tires down. He mounted the tires as soon as I brought them in and I checked out the shop.

I'll be taking the car to him for as much as I can at this point. he is close to me too. about $60 to mount and balance a set of rears. I've had cheaper, but the turn around and convenience were/are worth it. IMO.

pfanning, what did you wind up doing? Since this is about 3-4 months old now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up going to Fordahl. He did a good job but liked Colin's setup better. I'll be taking the new car to Colin.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Whats wrong w/true line?
I am going there next Friday, because Group 2 Motorsports which I setup up and appointment today does not keep their appoinment time and just cancels on people 2 hr before an appointment for no reason what so ever.
they exuse was that technicians are busy with other cars.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like Colin and would take my Lotus to him -- if I lived in Seattle -- for those things I do not (or cannot) do myself, but dialing in an alignment and corner balancing really isn't difficult, and most any shop can handle it. What matters most is attention to detail and the willingness to spend the time to get it right. I actually use Firestone Auto for my Lotus, as I bought the lifetime alignment, so they'll fuss with it endlessly without charge. And I did my own corner balancing using borrowed scales.

Remember, too, that you can drive your car onto an alignment rack, dial it in perfectly to your exact specs, drive it off the rack, and drive it back onto the very same rack secons later, and your specs will always be off by as much as several tenths of a degree. Small differences really do NOT matter, at least for our purposes, so there's no point to being too picky about your settings. Get them into the ballpark and call it done.

Further, I'd argue that few of you (no offense intended, but I believe it to be true) will notice a difference from corner balancing your Lotus unless the settings are already WAY off. Lotus designed the car quite well in that regard, and there isn't all that much to be gained purely from corner balancing. Rack matters a lot, so ride height is more sensitive, but pure corner balancing won't really change how your car feels to you at the limit.

My two cents. I'm sure there are people for whom this is all religigion who feel differently.

Twin

·
Registered
888 Posts
Peter -- what's the story with your Exige rebuild/repair? PM me if you'd prefer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts