The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new tires yesterday (BF Goodrich KDW 2's for the street) and went ahead and had the shop do a four wheel alignment in the process. On the drive home I noticed immediately that turning was much smoother but that also there was a ton of additional play in the wheel.

Now I am enjoying the smoothness but I liked it twitchy as it was before the alignment. It just doesn't seem to have that 'telepathic', hardcore feel it used to. Having not driven any other elises I don't know if this is excepted or not. I know part of it has to do with a softer tire sidewall but that can't be the entire reason.

Is this normal? Can I dial it in for a more responsive turn in?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Tires alone can be enough reason, as can pressures. What is the new front toe setting?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Consider playing with tire pressures too. I went from the AD07s to the Goodyear G3-D3s and turn in definitely suffered. Upping the pressures three to four psi recovered some of the feel.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Consider playing with tire pressures too. I went from the AD07s to the Goodyear G3-D3s and turn in definitely suffered. Upping the pressures three to four psi recovered some of the feel.
+1 on the tire pressure.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
They probably took out most of the camber.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I doubt they touched any camber in our cars...unless you paid couple hundred bucks for the alignment.

My guess would be that they gave you zero toe. People on this forum have described having a little toe out as "squirrelly."

Here is a link that should help you out:

http://www.virtualracersedge.com/GTR-Users-Guide/gtr_user_guide-5.htm

The bottom of the page has a section "Solving Handling Problems." That should help you out some.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I went in for an alignment with specs in hand..
The alignment guys said said we need to pull out a lot of camber - this is all wrong.
I told him what it should be, and he was shaking his head.
I said I have dry and wet, road and track setting from holland, england, belgium and australia, and they are all about the same.
Next was toe. He said the this is toed out, it should be toed in. We set it to toed out per the print out.

He was a very professional older (mature) fellow, once we agreed to use my values. Luckily castor and camber were fine.

You should have your post-alignment settings for anyone to make a reasonable quess as to what is going on.
For reference, my settings: were
L/R
F-Camber -1.1, -0.8
F-Castor 6mm,6mm (whatever mm are for castor, I do not know?)
F-Toe 0.25mm-out,0.25mm-out
R-Camber -2.5,-2.5
R-toe 2.5mm-in,2.5mm-in

The only difference for you might be F camber being reversed for the road crown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts